• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cookies

C2

Aug 3, 2005
how do your cookies work here?

I've had several instances where I will click the new posts link and get a long list of new posts and in the process of opening threads, reading, and responding; and sometimes eating lunch or dinner in between, my cookie will get reset after a while and when I go to page 2 of the "new posts" there are no results!

Do you reset the cookie every hour?

I think a lot of places reset the cookie once a day.

The "new posts" timeout is a general software setting. I'm pretty sure that it's not implemented with cookies, but rather with a session variable. I'm not positive, though.

How is the "new posts" timeout general software setting set?

I'm just wondering because I might be using the forum inefficiently.

Usually I come, click new posts, then open each new thread in a a new tab before I read.

It works well as I cannot just click the new threads and go "back"...I get a blankscreen and sometimes I get the "sorry, no new threads..." message. Sometimes I fubar that and regular click threads and get the message if I try to go back to the list or click new posts...

I also get it sometimes when clicking the next page of new posts.

I guess I'm a slow reader...

I found the setting - it IS both cookie based and inactivity based. It's not something I can control. Are you using Internet Explorer by chance? The only time I ever see the white screen is when I'm using IE.

I do use IE. The white screen only happens if I click back...this is not a big deal to me since I usually open new threads in a new tab and never go back.

Thanks for looking into it.

I do use IE. The white screen only happens if I click back...this is not a big deal to me since I usually open new threads in a new tab and never go back.

Thanks for looking into it.

It does that to me too on IE. There is something about IE's implementation of Javascript that isn't kosher. It's happening because of some javascript in the ebay ads, but it doesn't do it with other browsers. I'm doing a forum upgrade soon and I'm hoping that helps, but I'm not sure yet.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.