• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Custom Amplifier

Vacuum variables, vacuum contactor for HV, of course time delay, cover interlocks for your protection, variable tuned input, oil filled caps in HV supply, high temp and grid current shut off, just to name a few. Oh yeah, if you use a F7 tube instead of a A7 you won't need a socket. It just bolts to the chassis.

Last edited:
Vacuum variables, vacuum contactor for HV, of course time delay, cover interlocks for your protection, variable tuned input, oil filled caps in HV supply, high temp and grid current shut off, just to name a few. Oh yeah, if you use a F7 tube instead of a A7 you won't need a socket. It just bolts to the chassis.
Sounds a lot like my project. using the WD7S triode board, with all the features u mention. I am using 25 amp SSR's for the stepstart. Russians have a very nice filter cap, that I think is better than an oil filled. Of course vacum T/R relay for QSK.
Rich

Sounds a lot like my project. using the WD7S triode board, with all the features u mention. I am using 25 amp SSR's for the stepstart. Russians have a very nice filter cap, that I think is better than an oil filled. Of course vacum T/R relay for QSK.
Rich

Cool. After thinking a little more in addition to the grid shutoff it would be good to fuse the grids and HV (glitch resistor) also. Everything that can be done to protect the amp components in case of an arc or short. A fuse is much cheaper than components. I had found a schematic for a decent HV supply at this link:

http://w2dtc.com/w2dtc-3cx3000f7/2006-0522-schematic-5000v-supply.jpg

W2DTC RF Amplifier Hotlinks and photos

The amplifier page has some things to drool over also. I really like the 4-1000 amp with 2x4-1000's for modulators. That would be a monster.

...and probably as important as all those 'extras', make the thing so that all those fuses, replaceable items, etc, are accessible!
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.