• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Custom coax

boomer111

May 7, 2005
I am about at wits end. I have ordered coax with terminal ring connectors and both times the coax was unusable.

What I need is 18 foot RG8X polyvinyl with one end PL259 and the other end two ring terminal. This will mount to a Predator mount with terminal fitting.

I have tried my self to make and just do not have all the necessary equipment. Good soldering gun and shrink tube, and good coax.

Any recommendations on whom to contact for this work.

Please do not recommended the "predatordiscount10Kantenna" site. This guys coax is a joke!

Kale Carvel is nice enough to make me some up, to replace the poor job the above site mentioned did.

I still would like another contact so I do not have to lean on Kale, after all he is a antenna maker not coax.

As you know Kale makes the Predator 1OK antennas but has nothing to do with the site or coax being assembled.

I unsdertand that John is Kale's main distributor and he has a site too. Both the sites look the same other than John's name.

Looking for a quality assembly job with ring to match the Predator mount, and a ground braid smaller ring.

Information will be greatly appreciated!!

Check out eBay, times microwave lmr240 ultra flex is pretty good stuff. It's not cheap though, you may be able to order the coax with the terminations you want directly from them or get their contact info and ask them where one might get the necessary above materials from per made. I know there are some people on eBay that sell coax but you have to research what you are purchasing for sure, there are a lot of fake coax companies. Don't know who makes a good rg8x, not sure if times microwave does. Belden is another coax that is pretty good company. I don't know what you are running power wise, but it would be best if you did the job yourself IMO. Also check out DNJ radio and maybe copper electronics. Check eBay first though I know there are quite a few that sell good coax, like I said either times microwave or Belden coax's are pretty well made. I am pretty sure you can get ones on eBay with one end made, might be time to upgrade to a larger solder iron, they aren't that expensive and you know the job is done right at the end of the day. Good luck and hope you find what you are looking for. I am sure other will chime in an help as well. God bless.

I can certainly understand about 'goofing' with putting connectors on coax. I haven't bought any lately so can't tell you who to try. If I really get desperate I hit the Rat Shack till I can 'do' better. (And I'm not recommending that, BTW.) There are a number of places that would be happy to make up a cable for you, also not gonna recommend one, cuz' I just haven't used anyone lately. They are around...
I can say that that RG-8X, for the length you are wanting, will work as well as anything else at HF. You can't 'save' anything with a 'better' cable with just 18 feet to mess with. What you use is up to you though, so have at it.
Good luck.
- 'Doc

The DX Engineering coax style is exactly what I am after. I sent an Email, so we will see.

Also sent email to the others sites.

Reactions: 1 person
The DX Engineering coax style is exactly what I am after. I sent an Email, so we will see.

Also sent email to the others sites.

if they can't make you an 18 foot total lenght, just use a barrel connector and another piece of coax.

I won't even ask why exactly 18 feet is needed:unsure:

All the coax that is really needed is what gets you from the antenna to the radio, the 18ft lengths won't make a difference, there are so many misconceptions about coax length, I was a believer at one time, but have since recognized the truth, whatever will reach is should be what's used. There is no magic length to coax, it's 50 ohm coax, now if the manufacturer states 18ft is required, this may mean that part of that 18ft is part of the antenna system, otherwise use what reaches and no more. I have had people tell me, 17ft 4in, 18ft, 21ft , I work as a cell site installer and we run coax from equipment to wherever it's needed and cut to length, no necessary special difference. There is no magic number for 11 meters, it's whatever will reach from point a to point b is all I am trying to daubs guess. There may be some that disagree, but I bet the right ones will say the same as I have. JMO And god bless.

Such as it is I need 18 feet. Mag center mount on a 4Runner with coax running inside tailgate to amp behind passenger seat on floor.

16-17 feet might work but then when using meter while in front seat coax would not reach.

Ya I understand use the length that is needed.

Barrel connector idea is an interesting thought. What would the power loss be another 10%? I know the receive station could not tell. Good idea, I will keep it in mind.

So DX coax supplier has RG8X type ll in the length I need at 82 velocity factor and the pig tail piece I would use with the barrel is type l at 78 VF.

Does this present a problem? The mismatch in VF. One piece would be 18 foot and the pigtail is 1 1/2 feet.

Stii am hoping they can make be one piece out of the type ll with the terminal ends.

Last edited:
Velocity factor has nothing to do with anything unless the cable in question is dealing with phasing/timing of a signal. Mixing VFs is not a biggy at all. Neither are those barrel connectors. They may have 1/10th dB of loss so you'd have to have quite a few of them before it makes any difference as far as losses go.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.