• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

dacron guy wire?

billsjca

Jun 20, 2010
in the past used the mid steel guy wire and insulators to help keep the wires from resonating, but have heard dacron is popular today any thoughts on dacron vs steel. my new install is a sigma4 on a 20ft push up telescopic mast. currentely no guy wires, but it sways a bit.san jose never gets very windy only up a monthnow.but in the winter can get some gusts.the mast is clamped to the roof at 8ft.so 12 ft of mast is free.thought is to add a 10ft section once I get some dacron guy wires.

thank you 127 San Jose Cal.Bill

Last edited:

Yep...Dacron all the way. It's the only fabric type cord that is wholly resistant to the sun's UV rays and all weather. It is essentially permanent. And you can tie any knot in it....come back 10 years later and untie that knot without trouble. Go with a larger size like 5/16. I't available at hams stores, The Wireman, ebay ect.... All I use and the choice of hams.

It's what I use on my 30 foot push-up. It doesn't resonate and is non-conductive so you don't have to worry about insulators. Tie a trucker's knot of some type to cinch up the guys and be done with it.

'Dacron' rope can be used. The thing to remember is that it isn't going to last forever, and it does have limits. Metal EHS type guy wire is also usable, much stronger if it's needed, and very commonly used. A few insulators is about all it takes to 'de-resonate' them, and depending on where you live, weather and all that, the metal guys aren't really a bad idea.
And then if you've got the $$$, that 'phillystran' isn't bad either. Whatever you think.
- 'Doc

i have been using the 3/16" dacron rope for about 5-6 years now, and its held up just fine even with winds over 70mph.

its all about tying the right knots.
rule of thumb with tying knots is if you cant tie a knot tie a lot.

also, with that sigma 4, i always thought it would be a good idea to use some rope or UV resistant hi-test fishing line to keep the vertical radiator centered in the hoop.

also, there is some great info on tuning this antenna in this thread:
http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-antennas/36412-modified-vector-4000-a.html

LC

For light duty, like stringing dipoles, braided masons line works great.

Last install I had, it lasted for five years with no problem. It might still be there but I moved.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.