• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Damn CBrs

IRock817

Oct 29, 2011
After seeing cb operators getting dogged once again on a post, I'm curious!
How many ticket carriers started with CB and how many went straight to ham?
Let's tell the truth here!
It like hearing a truck driver cussing four wheelers, when that same truck driver drove a cage to work!

I ran CBs and freeband for many years before taking the final plunge into ham radio.

My Elmer ( KI-5-RB) was a guy that I would take my CBs to for repairs when needed.On my first visit to his shop/shack I saw a Kenwood 950 sitting on his desk,needless to say I spent the next few days drooling over that radio..I ask him how I would go about getting one of those radios...his reply was to toss a CQ mag in my lap and said, read this and we will go from there.... and I have never looked back

Cut my teeth as a kid on CB. Got my very first CB from a local pawn shop, a little orange Handic 23 channel unit.

Got my Ham Radio license in 1992. Enjoy both very much. Love working the world and we have a great group of locals on 27.365 LSB who rag chew at night.

The honest truth is CBers and Hams are not that damn different. Both have their idiots, space cadets, and good folks. Me, I'm somewhere in the middle of all that.

Installed a Cobra in the car when I got out of the service in late '77. Kept it for a couple of years until I got another car and never moved it over. Got my ticket about 4 years ago when my job moved me away from hands on with electronics. Always worked the electronic field, but never RF. Very long radio dry spell between the two event.

Unemployed effective yesterday. VERY nice severence package which at the end I will roll-over into RETIREMENT. I love it when a plan come together.

This gets brought up all the time and it is not about if a ham started out in CB or not. It really about whether or not he saw the errors of his ways in using echo, roger beeps, out of band operations, excessive power,noise toys and other bullshit on the air and finally decided to toe the line a bit and smarten up on the air regardless of what band he is on. Yes some talk shit about CB'ers even when they were a CB'er themselves at one time (see above comment) but it's no different than a reformed drug or alcohol abuser teaching kids to stay away from such stuff. They are not hypocrites but rather those that saw the error in their ways.

OK if you haven't flamed me yet then all is good. I do not have a problem with CB'ers. Never did except for those that get drunk on the air, key up with noise toys, echo etc and generally act like mental midgets. I did in fact have a start in CB but never on AM as I could not stand the cutesy pie bullshit from my peers at the time. I was always more mature than my age, and immediately took to SSB and DX'ing. Late at night I would engage in round tables on SSB with guys twice my age and more. Eventually I went to freeband for a couple years and then amateur radio. I haven't looked back on CB or operated freeband in well over 20 years.

27 MHz CB was in its infancy when I got interested in radio. You DID have to have a license, and the FCC WAS busting those who didn't follow the rules.

I got my Novice license in Dec. 1959, upgraded to Conditional about 5 months later and eventually got my Extra in 1975. Never have been a CBer.

My high school electronics class had a genuine Hallicrafters CB so our teachers could coordinate with the other high schools in Las Vegas. Our call was 11Q0082 (Eleven Cue Zero Zero Eight Two).

I have done DX on the "CB" channels for a long time... and now finaly got my ticket for ham and I have to say that there is trash talk on ALL the bands not just CB.

When you get a HF rig and take a listen on the bands you will find that most operators are the same GOOD AND BAD ! ! !

It does not matter if you have a license or not... You will find the ham bands maybe a little more formal having to give there call sign every 10 minutes or so... and not so layed back like Billy Bobby Joe or Bubba ( but there is a few on ham that do the same)

I also have found that on the Freeband you also get that "formal" radio operator.. very proper and precise in there radio usage....

I had a LONG talk with a Extra class operator yesterday about radio usage,

I informed him, That I was a DXr ..... he said he did not like to talk "DX" due to the fact of he was a "rag chewer" and did not like to just chase calls...(IE contesting get call radio report 73's have good day on to next)

Now "DX" to some is talking skip outside of the states or your own country and others it means any where besides local (me I am the second).

I said wait a minute DX and contesting are 2 different things. When I contact someone normally I have a LONG QSO with them as long as conditions hold out...

But yet he will sit on 160 meter with a bunch of guys where ever in the states they where and blab for hrs.... Then I asked him what the difference is and he was like hmmm good question...

Imagine that a Ham learning something from a "Freebander"

Bottom line is ALL radio operators are the same whether you have a license or not, We just want to BS on a 2 way voice transmitting device<<More audio>>

Reactions: 1 person
I started on cb first im also licensed ham now. I still enjoy listening to all the crackheads on cb. Gambia for relaxing talk while on cb its like a circus... ;)

Sent from Outerspace, on the DarkSide of X.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.