• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Delta-Loop Antenna Self Build

Delta loops work pretty good.

I built two and phased them together, separated by 18' between the two and they work great for DX.

They are upside down triangles, feed at the bottom all three sides are the same length.

The loops are so cheap and easy to make, I'm surprised more people don't throw one up. I guess because of the size, they are a little hard to fiddle with. But they sure do work!

Homer, is yours still in your attic?

RT307

Does anyone have a picture of one of these in use? Im curious to building one. I have everything needed and was considering a Dipole but with the gain on this why bother with a dipole except for the convientness of hanging it.
No where have I read if making a rectangle loop does it have to stay in a rectangle all the time? If I hang this from a tree at 30' of coarse there is going to be sag in the wire on both the top and bottom. Does it need to stay in a perfect rectangle? if the wind blows it will no longer be a rectangle unless all 4 sides are supported by some type of structure correct? so would i basically need to build a structure and attach the wire to it?

Google is your friend.

11-meter-loop-antenna.JPG

11 Meter Loop Antenna

I read this and somehow overlooked it
"Put it as close to a circle you can get it, although it will work fine as a square, odd shaped rectangle or even a triangle. Just getting it up in the air 15 feet will produce significant results no matter what strange shape."

22 ga wire? I guess I wont waste me 12ga on this project maybe ill build a dipole as well. Ill keep ev1 posted once I get the light wire.

I read this and somehow overlooked it
"Put it as close to a circle you can get it, although it will work fine as a square, odd shaped rectangle or even a triangle. Just getting it up in the air 15 feet will produce significant results no matter what strange shape."

22 ga wire? I guess I wont waste me 12ga on this project maybe ill build a dipole as well. Ill keep ev1 posted once I get the light wire.

Use the 12ga wire.
Let us know how you get on with this project.

As far as the shape of a hanging rectangle, simply run the top wire and the bottom wire sections through a piece of PVC pipe, or make them of metal tubing.

twoantennas-e1281495761658.jpg
6m_delta_loop3.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: tecnicoloco
Thats awesome Homer! Thanks its easier for me to see something before I build it! im guessing the other antennas up close to it have no effect.

The rectangle is actually two loop antennas hanging together, and then a third out front of them. Because they are made for different bands they are able to be close to each other.

Oldie but goody antenna...had one up years ago on a 3rd story balcony when I lived in an apartment in Iowa while working for Belden Wire....
All the Best
BJ

That's a cool loop, and I really like the near-50Ω feed point impedance! For vertical polarization it wouldn't be tough nor expensive to make from 1 3/8" closet rod, sealed & painted of course.

For 27.385mhz it appears it should be about 454 1/4" (depending upon the velocity factor of the wire used) and should be 75.7" x 151.4".

Too bad it's bandwidth is so narrow, but across the 440mhz wide 11m band it should only be a max of 1.4:1 at channels 1 & 40 and 1:1 around ch 20.

If you used a 13' closet rod across the center horizontal holding about a 75" long 5/8" diameter aluminum tube at each end, then wire across the top & bottom, only breaking the center of one 75" side with about 6" of 1/2" fiberglass rod for the feedpoint, you would have a nice working wide-pattern bi-directional vertical with the gain of a Vector/Penetrator but with possibly a lower TOA and perhaps one of the quietest antennas for noise reduction there is. A closed loop is known for it's lack of static noise.

13' x 1 3/8" closet rod @ Home D = $18

2 x 6' x 5/8" aluminum tubing = $11

Wire = $.08/ft x 26' = $2.25

Misc hardware = $7
Total = <$40!

(y)

Imagine using another small TV rotator at the hub so it could be rolled over from vertical to horizontal!

Reactions: tecnicoloco
Deita Loop Self Build.

Thanks Robb for getting back to me so quickly. I recently heard that the Delta- Loop was a good antenna and I thought it might be a big bucks outlay but in fact it could be put together quite cheaply. Thanks for the link to cb online. I'll just follow the instructions and see how it turns out. Thanks again.
Hi. I did mine with pvc pipes as frame. Each side is 11.5 ft and transformer is about 5ft 9 inches of rg59u. Works well and made contact with Wales from my location in Laguna Philippines. 73

Reactions: G-Golly Wally

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.