• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Destroyer Amps 400 amp Motormaul

Primetime17

Jan 5, 2011
Please help! I am trying to run a 16 pill X force amplifier with a 400 amp motormaul. I have (4) four 900 cca batteries connected to the maul. I am running a 200 amp alternator. Here's my problem; once I dial my voltage up on the maul, let's say at 17 volts. When I key my amplifier via the maul, the voltage drops to 10 volts! I have even dialed up the volts on the maul to 22.5 volts and once the amp is keyed. the voltage on the maul drops to 14.23 volts. I even tried an 8 pill and dialed the maul up to it's limit. (22.5) only to see the volts drop to 15.73 The batteries are brand new having purchased them about a month ago.

Sounds like your batteries are not being connected when you key and are only using the alternators output.

Check all cable routing to see if they're connected properly.

It should change all batteries from parallel to series when keyed and then the internal voltage regulator should take over and it sounds like that's not happening.

Those batteries seem to not be doing their part they should be holding everything up. Test those batteries and make sure they are all good new does not mean they are guaranteed functional. I believe NAPA or carquest has a tester for batteries. If the batteries are good as Mack suggested check all your connections in the setup.

Sounds like your batteries are not being connected when you key and are only using the alternators output.

It should change all batteries from parallel to series when keyed and then the internal voltage regulator should take over and it sounds like that's not happening.

Thanks Mackmobile43 so if the maul was functioning properly it could handle the 16 pill with no problem?

Please help! I am trying to run a 16 pill X force amplifier with a 400 amp motormaul. I have (4) four 900 cca batteries connected to the maul. I am running a 200 amp alternator. Here's my problem; once I dial my voltage up on the maul, let's say at 17 volts. When I key my amplifier via the maul, the voltage drops to 10 volts! I have even dialed up the volts on the maul to 22.5 volts and once the amp is keyed. the voltage on the maul drops to 14.23 volts. I even tried an 8 pill and dialed the maul up to it's limit. (22.5) only to see the volts drop to 15.73 The batteries are brand new having purchased them about a month ago.

Your batteries aren't holding up or the MM's regulator has problems.
The 400 amp mauls require a minimum of 4 batteries but 8 sounds better for a 16 pill.

I just want to know what happens to the poor trucker in the other lane when you key the mic. :D

He'll need a new final plus a possible driver and pre driver......not to mention the receiver damage. Been there done that to many a non english speaking dump truck driver!

as long as pillplopper didn't fool with the MM any the MM should hold the 16 fine... as he just buys them from either Tony @FB or Carl @ XF anyway (ON EDIT...i have seen ones he relabeled, but after visiting his website i see they are stripped down copies, i'd be happy to show ya what a better MM looks like)

i would recommend going to 6 or 8 batteries though, i run an 8 through mine all day every day and it hold fine on 2 8D batts and have tested several 16's and i could even key them for a bit before any significant drops

also are the 900cca batteries Deep cycle? i have experienced nothing but problems using deep cycles in amplifier applications

that's a lot of money and effort for just 1 s-unit more on the received end than a 4 pill . :whistle::whistle::whistle:

Damn, I sure hope your vehicle isn't newer and computerized. Does your lights and speedometer go whacko? That much power can do strange things to braking systems and that wouldn't just affect your vehicle either. I personally wouldn't run more than 100 watts mobile.

that's a lot of money and effort for just 1 s-unit more on the received end than a 4 pill . :whistle::whistle::whistle:

If you saw all the space needed for these 8-32 pill amps, motormauls, and batteries.....it is nuts to gain just 1 S-unit. A large number of jumpers makes this a project....plus I have seen malfunctioning mauls cause fires too! Too much for me to want to mess with.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.