• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

diamond x200..did I make the right choice?

211inthamag

Jan 12, 2008
Natchez, Ms
I ordered the diamond x200 base antenna and this will be my first dual band antenna or first uhf/vhf antenna for that matter...what are yalls opinion on it? I will probably be running my yaesu 2900r into it because it is a 75 watt rig and our goal is to hit repeaters 100 mile out and at least talk 30 mile simplex ...will have antenna about 60 feet to the base for now running lmr400!

My first choice was the comet x510 or the diamond gp-9...but figured the x 200 would probably fix all my needs, yall think I made the right move? I undersrand a directional would be the best to go with but isnt a go for me at this point till I get my tower up again.

Probably depends on the repeater, but I have recently hit local ones running 50 watts from my mobile at about 45-50 miles out. With the added height, you might be able to do it. I'd play with it and see, and if not, definitely step up to a beam.

RT307

That antenna is dual 5/8 wave elements cophased in a vertical array. It will have no problem talking simplex out to 30 miles assuming you get it at a height that will get your signal above local obstacles. Whether or not it will hit repeaters 100 miles away is more a function of the height of the other repeaters and what's in the way. Regardless, let us know what you think after you get it installed and take a few pictures so we can see your setup.

Yeah I agree ,getting it up high will be in the near future...I have 160 feet of tower already sitting behind the house but cant do anything with it until our new home is built...so im only limited to 60-65 at the moment! I will def be adding a review of this antenna since it is my first purchase as a "New " ham!!

I may get the x510 just to compare at a later date or the x700 ($375) "yowzer"

Most people around here run the Ringo Ranger II and have been pushing that antenna on me like crack rock, but I decided to rebel with my own choice and in hopes it is a better performer!!

Honestly I ran a Ringo AR2 for years at 100 feet and talked into three states on simplex. Hight it might when it comes to VHF. 60-65 feet will work well to start out. What I am getting at is you probably will not need a different antenna once you get the x200 up high.

Well I have had the X200 in the air since Saturday and even though I have nothing to compare it to it seems to do well! It was VERY easy to put together and only come in 2 sections with 3 radials...I assembled it in less then 15 minutes and it is already tuned from the factory! I mounted it on my 60 foot breakover pole and am running 75 of LMR 400... The only thing I did is I ran a line of silicon around the center section where the 2 sections screw in at the top to make sure no water could enter down to the base of the antenna and cause me to have a stroke while looking on the SWR meter...I also wrapped the connector with "Coax Wrap" to make sure that it was well sealed at the connector (even though the antenna has a pipe around it) it is good insurance just in case!

I hooked it up to the MFJ 269 and the readings were PERFECT 1:0-1:1 from 144 to 148...so very happy with that!! Simplex has not been very busy since the install so I have not been able to ground my distance, but I have been hitting repeaters with good signal up to 130 miles without having to put my ear to the speaker to understand what in the word is being said!

I must say I am happy with the install so far and would DEF recommend it to those looking for a simple but effective antenna..will probably hand it down to my buddy to get him on the air when he gets his license soon and move on up to the Diamond x700 or comet GP-9 with 7/8 heliax and N connectors and try it out until my 160 foot tower install gets on the way (will youtube it for ya)!! That's my take on it so far!

Last edited:
I hooked it up to the MFJ 269 and the readings were PERFECT 1:0-1:1 from 144 to 148...

Can you do me a favour and do a SWR sweep from 159MHz to 164MHz? I'm interested particularly in the region of 159-164MHz as a friend of mine has a PMR Business Radio company here in the UK and uses those frequencies for his repeaters which I do testing on so it would be nice to have one that covers the 2m amateur band and that as well. My current tribander is 4:1 there.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.