• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Diamond X510 ordered!! going to compare

211inthamag

Jan 12, 2008
Natchez, Ms
OK..i am not right! I already have the Diamond X200 antenna (6db 2m) and it talks FANTASTIC at 60 feet BUT..i wanted that little "UMF" on simplex and i figured that i would get the Diamond X510 (8.3db 2m) to see if i can hear a difference with a few distand repeaters that im not really full quieting yet! I chose diamond because first of all the Quality was very nice and the ease of putting it together is child like and the instructions are better then most and not to mention customer support is not so bad neither!! Was a tie between the comet GP-9 and this one..but i like diamond so

I have one at 50 feet above ground ( base of the X510N) and consider it a good weather antenna ;)
As soon the wind starts to blow seriously the antenna will bend in the wind and the S meter will be seriously effected, specally on 70 cm's.
Don't put in more as 50 watts FM carrier or risk blowing up the fragile C's in it, i replaced them with teflon coax cable as c's and can now put 200 watts safely in the antennna.

Diamond X510N modification

Have a look at the changes.

OK..i am not right! I already have the Diamond X200 antenna (6db 2m) and it talks FANTASTIC at 60 feet BUT..i wanted that little "UMF" on simplex and i figured that i would get the Diamond X510 (8.3db 2m) to see if i can hear a difference with a few distand repeaters that im not really full quieting yet!

You won't at all. I don't between a 1/4 wave and 5/8 wave on my car to a repeater 55 miles away. Nothing, nada, zip not even a single S point.

Well it may not make a BIG difference...but if it makes a small increase im happy! As for getting the antenna up higher I agree...getting ready to stick that 160 feet of rohn 45 up any day now, im fixing to test my wife love for me when I get it up in the air and have to lay out all the guide wires on our nice property...o well she should have held her tongue when she said "honey you should get back in the radio hobby again":love:

Ive got everything I need for the tower install...I will have a directional beam on top with the x510 above it..don't know why I would want to return the antenna lol!! As soon as they finish building my house ill be on tip top shelf...but for now I have to make due with what I got ..73"s

UPDATE: Ok so my antenna arrives Saturday and I got to take it out of the package and I notice that there is something different...Its the correct antenna but one that Gigaparts must have sent off for Warranty because it had a Tech slip from RF Parts in there that said reason for warranty was 8:1 SWR...and at the bottom of the slip it said "Replaced Capacitor in the matching section and works as stated"..so there was the FIRST no no..SECOND was the second section had 3 cracks in the fiberglass at the top of the section and was very weak, I could squeeze it with pressure, so im like REALLY lol...no instructions but All hardware was there!! So not exactly what I was expecting from a NEW ANTENNA PURCHASE...I called Gigaparts and they were very helpful about it and apologized many times for that happening..bad new is they didn't have another X510 in stock SOOOO they are sending me a Comet GP-9 instead (witch is basically the same antenna but $20 more)..agreed to ship it out today! Thank You Gigaparts for making it right!!

Comet GP-9 and Diamond X510
8.5DB - 8.3DB

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    803.6 KB · Views: 1,596
Last edited:
There isn't any significant difference between those two antennas so the GP-9 ought'a do just dandy. Take some care when assembling that GP-9, it's not exactly simple, or maybe it's just 'different'. Nothing difficult, just different.
Have fun.
- 'Doc

OK got it together and up yesterday...the one thing I like that I thought I wouldn't is the plastic rings where you join each section together...it is actually a better seal then the Diamond BUT the one thing I didn't like about the Comet is that the center wire were they connect at each section is way thinner then the diamond antennas and when screwing in the allen screws you think its going to just crimp them all the way off!! SWR is 1:0 to 1:3 across the 2 meter band..i have not had enough time yet to really test it out..time will tell!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.