• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Different DX II

357magnum

Feb 25, 2014
Coventry RI
I talk to Southern New Jersey this morning mixed in with a lot of North an South Carolina I know it's short DX into Jersey for me , has anyone else had these short DX conditions ? I never talked to that state before in 40 years !:eek:

I have done some close stuff like that before, but that was 2 skip cycles ago, in the 1990's. I live in NE central Iowa, and I've talked to east Illinois, southern Missouri, northern Minnesota, and a couple areas of Wisconsin. It can be done, but not very often in the 27 mhz band!

~Cheers~

Reactions: 1 person
Yep, been getting Boston New York and New Jersey a lot in the past week or so. I was listening to some New Jersey stations one night and it sounded like they were just right down the road. No other skip but those stations. I'm used to west coast DX and UK... that's the Norm for me and i Wish it would come back. I enjoy talking to the folks on the west coast. Talked to a guy in RI for 10 minutes one day. 131 RI was his number.

Yep happened in Florida not too long ago. Was talking with people within state but far enough to be short dx, and everywhere else as well. Mother Nature can do weird things!!

Reactions: 2 people
It may have been short hop sporadic E or even backscatter. Hard to prove backscatter unless both ends are using beams however. I worked a station in Prince Edward Island about 100 miles due north of me just after working a station in Venezuela to my south. If I pointed the beam to the north I lost the PEI station but had good copy with it pointed away from him and to the south. I got the card to prove the contact too so it was legit backscatter.

AL567 , yes I believe that's Bob ( TB 131 ) I think he runs an old tube radio an a moon raker I hear him talking to people I can't even hear . He's got a good station , he told me he put his " Good Stuff " away when FCC was suppose to be in town . I can't even imagine what that sounds like ! lol

Sent from my NB09 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
AL567 , yes I believe that's Bob ( TB 131 ) I think he runs an old tube radio an a moon raker I hear him talking to people I can't even hear . He's got a good station , he told me he put his " Good Stuff " away when FCC was suppose to be in town . I can't even imagine what that sounds like ! lol

Sent from my NB09 using Tapatalk

It was Bob. I wrote it down. Nice gentleman to chat with. I used to talk to a gentleman called dirty old man a lot just above 405. Haven't heard him in a while. I don't recall where he's from but I enjoy talking to him also.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.