• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile Different models of Firestick Antennas

TES

Jan 11, 2020
Can anybody tell me about the different models of Firestick Antennas such as "Firestick 2 FS," "FS 2 Oversized," "FSX" What's best for mobile/and freebanding, running a little power, 10,11, and 12 meter radios. Don't quite have the funds for a dozen antennas to pick what I think is best. I have a Wilson 5000 on the wife's car, it's a great antenna but they're not cheap. 102" whip on my PU truck but I really don't think that would look too cool on my Ford Focus commuter car.

I'm no firestik expert but have used many of the FireStik 2 series on mobile installations for years. Actually the one fs5 currently on the big rig has been on there since 2020, hot/cold/snow/hail/rain and daily 75mph driving. Let's mention in the Texas panhandle winds! Excellent antennas and have the easy to tune tip.

Can anybody tell me about the different models of Firestick Antennas such as "Firestick 2 FS," "FS 2 Oversized," "FSX" What's best for mobile/and freebanding, running a little power, 10,11, and 12 meter radios. Don't quite have the funds for a dozen antennas to pick what I think is best. I have a Wilson 5000 on the wife's car, it's a great antenna but they're not cheap. 102" whip on my PU truck but I really don't think that would look too cool on my Ford Focus commuter car.
Firesticks are CB antennas designed for the CB band and only have a fine tuning range for CB channels.

Your Wilson antenna has a more adjustable whip so it can retune to some frequencies above or below the CB band.

There is no single mobile antenna that can do it all without retuning. A full size 1/4 wave whip will give the widest range but it's not practical for many situations.

You can use a mobile antenna tuner which let's your radio work without re-tuning but your antenna stays the same and the losses are in the tuner. That's the tradeoff using a tuner.

When you say 10 and 12 meters you are in the Amateur band. You are welcome to listen but do not transmit there.

Generally, freeband users don't go below 26 Mhz on AM or above 27.7 Mhz on SSB which neither is 10 meters and it's far from 12 meters.

Last edited:
What Fourstringburn said, the bandwidth of a Firestick antenna is barely enough to cover the legal CB band with an acceptable match.....
I've owned a few, but there are LOTS of much better mobile antennas........

Well, now I know...thank you for time. There are a lot of things I don't know and I'm thankful for the help. I'll keep trying. The Wilson 5000 worked best on my wife's car so, so far that's the winner. I'd put the 102 on there but she's ain't havin that and I'd have to agree that that's a little much for her pretty city car.

none of them ..get a 5 or 6 foot skip shooter ..mount it on the bed rail towards the rear ..look up breedlovemounts.com hes got some good stuff. skipshooters come in many colors that could match yours ..but my favorite is black or clear ...goes with anything

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Thanks to all whom have taken the time to enlighten me in the area of mobile antennas. I really appreciate it.

Reactions: BC Coyote

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.