• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

dipole idea

caspear1978

Jan 8, 2009
ok so ive got 2 five foot stainless steel base loaded mag mount antennas laying around that i dont use, woudl it be possible to set them up and use both as a dipole antenna, i was thinking about running the setup vertical, so i was going to run the braided wire to the bottom antenna and the tx/rx wire to the top one, would this work or would it backfire on me, i have a wire dipole setup vertical but every adjustment im makeing is making the rx worse, ive got good tx with it but bad rx, so any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful,,,, thank you mark

Last edited:

Unless you just want to play around, dont mess with this idea. If your dipole doesnt work, fix it. You wont get any improvement with the other idea. A dipole is a dipole is a dipole. Simple as a brick. Fix the one you started with and then maybe experiment if you must.

PR

ok so that ideas in the "what was i thinking box" now,lol thats ok, but as far as my problem with the dipole setup ive got now, what could be the cause as to why i can tx good but can barely rx , i can hear the wife when ses going to work and comeing from work but she only works about 3 miles from here and i can hear great as far as east to west goes but when its comeing from the north or south, they can hear me but i cant hear them,, what could be the cause of this?

First thing we need to know is, what is the swr? What type of center insulator and feed line did you use. How and where is it hung? Without info, I would be guessing. You could probably receive on a paperclip, but it wouldnt transmit worth a hoot.:laugh:
I would need some further info to be of much help.

PR

make sure you are running the coax horizontally for the first 8-10 feet coming away from the antenna.
this should help with the directional characteristics a bit, and also should lower the SWR somewhat.

if you cant get the SWR down, try wrapping 6-8 turns of coax around a 3-4" form, such as a roll of tape etc...

do this right at the feedpoint of the antenna, keeping the turns right next to eachother and then run the coax out horizontally from there for at least the first 8-10 feet.

the base loaded antennas would be less efficient than your current dipole and would not get out as far or hear as well.

good luck,
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.