• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Direct inject cobra 2k

357 has me on ignore so he'll miss out...The big boys using a 29 are using using a mmm board or something similar to feed the collectors of the final and driver. Few of them really did much work.. The reason he is doing this to a SSB rig is because a cobra 29 uses a mod transformer and doesn't have an am regulator. The tiny transformer will limit low bass. I've been told it will bass more lows if the voltage is dropped, it makes sense but I haven't tried. People have experimented with external mod iron with good results but it requires work and some math.

A 29 can be made to work but using a ssb rig makes it easier to achieve the same result. I have a mod saved somewhere to ditch the transformer modulate a 29 with a darlington pair. If you go to the trouble you might as well have used a 148 or some other SSB rig.

If you want AM and SSB use a low level modulated HF rig with a balanced modulator and feed it with external gear. On most of them you will have to replace a crystal filter to get high frequencies to pass but that's not such a bad thing. It will keep you from talking up too much bandwidth. If you want to take up excessive bandwidth built a circuit to bypass the filter in TX mode. Another benefit of the balanced modulator is the negative peaks will go right to 100% while the positive peaks will exceed 100% if there is enough head room.

The tiny transformer will limit low bass. I've been told it will bass more lows if the voltage is dropped,

Another benefit of the balanced modulator is the negative peaks will go right to 100% while the positive peaks will exceed 100% if there is enough head room.

So you end up with bassy audio that nobody can understand and a splattering wide signal that ruins it for anyone two channels either side of you.

People like you are the reason others feel they need to use 100W to talk to the guy down the street.

No it didn't and no they don't. Only one of my four amateur rigs will hear more than 3kHz. None of them will hear 6kHz on SSB. ESSB is a niche and one which is NOT appreciated by amateurs as it takes up at least twice as much space as is needed (usually a hell of a lot more if they're using a linear) and the majority of band plans don't cater for it. And its wasted on 99.9% of receiving stations who are all listening to the audio at 2.7-3kHz the same as CBers would be this.

"To those ESSB guys I say this: If you want to be a broadcast station then apply for a broadcast station license." - Riley Hollingsworth K4ZDH, lead enforcement officer for amateur radio at the FCC in his talk at Dayton Hamvention in 2007.

leaving Riley out of the discussion, and hopefully not hi jacking the thread.

Just so I understand you correctly non of YOUR rigs have any filter wider than 3khz? What rigs would those be and what filters do they have??

leaving Riley out of the discussion, and hopefully not hi jacking the thread.

Just so I understand you correctly non of YOUR rigs have any filter wider than 3khz? What rigs would those be and what filters do they have??

The IF filters are wider than 3kHz, hell my Flex 6500 receives from 100kHz to 70MHz in one lump. However what gets passed through to the final audio stages isn't wider than around 3kHz with the exception of the Flex which will do just under 4. None of them will do the 6kHz that ESSB guys do unless operating in AM or FM modes.

And they're a TS480, a FT991, a Flex 6500, a TS590S.

So you end up with bassy audio that nobody can understand and a splattering wide signal that ruins it for anyone two channels either side of you.

People like you are the reason others feel they need to use 100W to talk to the guy down the street.

A few db's of gain below 100htz adds warmth. 100 - 150 adds mud. Add you can always kick up the gain above 3.5k for brightness and clarity.
Yea you do, sometimes 10k of carrier is needed to clean up that sideband spatter.

If you are an idiot and can't adjust the equipment properly this is exactly what happens. You know nothing about me or my equipment or how I use it, but I won't waste my time trying to justify what I do. Your ignorance and arrogance have your mind made up.

I think your 480 even has a built in EQ for receive audio, pretty sure it is covering a wide range of frequency.
I can hear the difference of the ESSB even on my Swan 700CX and they sound great on the FT-102 or the TS 830,

I am sure those rigs will need to get modified to fully appreciate ALL the bandwidth the essb cover with the frequencies but alas with the wide bandwidth the essb requires not everyone is happy

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.