• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Distortion in tx and rx on 858 chassis radio's

mike269

Jan 5, 2015
I have 2 radio's with the same faults, one is a trc457 and the other is a trc449. Both radio's have distortion in the rx and tx. Has any body had the same problems? does anyone have a fix. both radios have the same 858 chassis so it seems it may be a common problem. you can hear it loudest if you key and say fooooouuuuurrrrrrr.

Since it is happening to two completely different radios in receive mode or while transmitting, then I would have to guess that either your power supplies' ('source') voltage supplying these radios is too high, too low, not a clean DC supply (has unregulated DC), non-filtered, or is half rectified, or any number of combinations as well. Overall length/gauge of wire feeding insufficient current to either radio - too.
For starters.
IOW - How would you rate the reliability/accuracy/consistency of your power supply?

Last edited:
Reactions: 222DBFL
And also could be antenna system issues as well. Bad connections, coax, and like Robb said, your power supply. Check all the above starting with what Robb posted. Hope you get it resolved. The more info you can post will help as well. How your entire setup is installed. Starting with the power suppy and voltage amperage of it and what type as Robb has suggested. Good luck and again, hope you get it resolved. Good day.

to add some more to robb's thoughts, my buddy has a cb repair shop and a few years ago he had a problem like this and my mobile would act up when I got close to his shop. we finally found the transformer from the electric company on the pole just out side his business was bad. how we found it was we hit on the pole to cuse it to vibrate and the noise would go away. transformer changed out and so the noise went away also.

Reactions: 222DBFL
I have 2 radio's with the same faults, one is a trc457 and the other is a trc449. Both radio's have distortion in the rx and tx. Has any body had the same problems? does anyone have a fix. both radios have the same 858 chassis so it seems it may be a common problem. you can hear it loudest if you key and say fooooouuuuurrrrrrr.

There is a blue or brown tantalum cap right by the audio chip.
Its hidden by a small board.
Try replacing that first.

2015091.jpg 2015092.jpg

Reactions: unit_399
Since it is happening to two completely different radios in receive mode or while transmitting, then I would have to guess that either your power supplies' ('source') voltage supplying these radios is too high, too low, not a clean DC supply (has unregulated DC), non-filtered, or is half rectified, or any number of combinations as well. Overall length/gauge of wire feeding insufficient current to either radio - too.
For starters.
IOW - How would you rate the reliability/accuracy/consistency of your power supply?
Power supply is good, very clean on scope. Voltage is 13.8Vdc and power leads can handle 15amp easy.

to add some more to robb's thoughts, my buddy has a cb repair shop and a few years ago he had a problem like this and my mobile would act up when I got close to his shop. we finally found the transformer from the electric company on the pole just out side his business was bad. how we found it was we hit on the pole to cuse it to vibrate and the noise would go away. transformer changed out and so the noise went away also.
None of my other radios have the problem....washington 8719 pll, super cheater 2824 pll, Robyn sb520d 858 pll, super panther 02a pll. so I would say there isn't any interference around.

I guess the only thing left is to find or build a signal tracer and see if you can find what stage the noise starts.
It could be a noisy 2sC945 or even a diode I guess.
Does it do it on AM audio and SSB audio out?
Possibility of dirty relay?

Thats odd they both are faulty

Last edited:
Reactions: 222DBFL and Robb

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.