• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Does echo do anything for transmit?

it does do a little something for the modulation .just and enough to accent your voice .certain echo boards (aftermarket,skythumper for one)have a built in modulation amp on the board with a vr to control it .
but your average echo that comes with a radio as factory (rf limited radios aside)just has echo .
i always run a little reverb it does help get you noticed.

A bunch of export radios have audio that sounds flat as a pancake without the echo on. Turn the echo on and the audio is impressive but it's still a gimmick.
Some people never get the hang if adjusting the echo and it does more harm than good.
Nevertheless echo is a noise toy and is annoying to listen to.

Reactions: 2 people
PROPERLY ADJUSTED an echo will help. It raises the AVERAGE modulation and sounds louder because everything is being broadcast twice. Also it helps intelligibility because the listener hears everything twice. Reverb can work the same way. Adjusting the echo or reverb correctly is the key.

A bunch of export radios have audio that sounds flat as a pancake without the echo on. Turn the echo on and the audio is impressive but it's still a gimmick.
Some people never get the hang if adjusting the echo and it does more harm than good.
Nevertheless echo is a noise toy and is annoying to listen to.
agree

Just like fnkycoldmedina said, a "little bit" of reverb works to help you get noticed.
The old timers called it redundancy, and it will get you through a pile up.

As far as echo goes, it's only good for annoying everyone on the frequency.

i've never heard echo improve communication in any situation,

that might just be the reason the emergency services, law enforcement and military to name but a few professional radio users aren't lining up to buy radios with echo units installed.

if you want something that will give more punch at the expense of some/a lot of clarity fit a speech processor.

if you want to be acknowledged by every tard and his mate, buy an echo chamber.

That's the reason I asked...

I've had several radios with it, but I never seem to get it "just right" and within a day or two, just turn it off. I was just wondering if it helped any, in a properly tuned radio. I just was curious if it had any real affect on said signal/transmit/modulation. I would guess a radio with an intact limiter would see very little improvement?

I guess I like to be understood more than to be loud? I always set it to my liking to be told it sounds bad...but that probably has more to do with personal preference than anything.

I have heard one guy, just one, who got the echo right on his radio. Right for me that is, it's all personal taste. He drove a truck with straight pipes for exhaust, pretty damn loud, however with his rk56 and the way he had that echo just barely on at all, he sounded like he was sitting in a room on a base station.

Turning it off did NOTHING to his signal strength or clarity, it just took away that effect.

To each his own however, not everyone likes the same meal.

I have to say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

Occassionaly while on am cb(which is rare I usually on SSB)- I have heard echo on am which sounds ok...this is likely subjective as I thought at the time, that is kinda cool sounding but it definitely did not help in understanding the person talking in my opinion.

However I do not believe that it is good on SSB, especially as poster mentioned with clipped limiter. You are more likely to cause distortion.

As far as poster question on restoring clipped limiter...Yes definitley restore the limiter.

There are so many other things you can do to improve your station: spend money on antenna and coax improvements. Learn to use your natural speaking and utilize and adjust the station and microphone properly.

Reactions: 2 people
well let's see, can you understand me any better?

He-he-he-he-he-hello-lo-lo-lo-lo-lo-lo-lo-lo!!! How are-ar-ar-ar-ar-ar-ar-ar you-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo to-oo-oo-oo-oo-day-ay-ay-ay-ay-ay-ay-ay? I-i-i-i am-m-m-m-m-m-m doo-ooo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-ing-ing-ing-ing grea-ay-ay-ay-ay-ay-ay-ay-t-t-t-t-t!!! I-i-i-i-i am-m-m-m-m-m-m a-a-a-a re-re-re-re-tard-ard-ard-ard-ard. Ca-a-a-a-a-nt you-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo tell-ell-ell-ell-ell. teeeeeeeeeeen-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-n foooooooo-oooooooooor goo-ooo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-d-d-d-d-d-d-d bu-u-u-u-u-u-u-dd-dd-dd-dd-dd-dd-ee-ee-ee-ee-ee. I-i-i-i-i-i-i- a-a-a-a-am-m-m-m-m way-ay-ay-ay-ay-ay-ay-v-ing-ing-ing-ing feeee-eee-eee-or-or-or-or-or-or fin-ing-ing-ing-ing-er-er-er-er-er-ers a-a-a-a-a-n-n-n-n-n-nd a-a-a-a ha-a-a-a-a-n-n-n-n-n-ddd-ddd-ddd-ddd.

did you get all that?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.