• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Does "Ranger" make the SRA-198 noise canceling mic?

SRA 198 comes stock 4-pin wired to work with most Galaxy, Cobra, Uniden, 4 pin radios... Nice Mic's, but you almost have to eat the thing to make it talk..."Extremely Noise Cancelling"...should be no problem tho if your running a Amp or if your radio has Mic Gain.

I've been wanting one but I'm also getting a 2nd Road Devil mic too. With the 198 I want to hear it does with different radios before I settle on which radio/radios to use it on. I'm planning on using the RD on my 959 after I install a TRBx2 inside. I may want to run the 198 through a speech processor though. I like full audio.

I also have the Red Devil mic in my Toyota Tacoma. I am very happy with it being a power mic with noise reduction but I did take it apart and painted the mic body silver from that outrageous red, looks good with the black grill and key switch now. I also have the Extreme 2018 and you can adjust the talk back volume but with my radio "148 GTL" it is still to loud and will feed back but the N.R. switch may help it from squealing. I also have a new Turner Telex RK-56 in my Dodge pick up it is not a loud mic but I have it connected to a Cobra 29 LTD Classic with a echo board installed and the noise limiter clipped and VR something turned up and it sound so good now it's hard to believe you can go down the highway at 65 with the window open and only put out clean clear loud audio with no back ground noise but I do have to remind the wife that the lip guard means to keep it close to your moulth.

I got one of those from that blueparrot guy for the 2985. It has the two channel changer buttons on top and a 6 hole plug on the end. It's very heavy, but nice, however, one of the buttons only works when it wants to and you know when you leave the vent open in your car at night and the local tom cat climbs up there and pisses in it. That's what the foam inside the mouthpiece smelled like. It's enough to gag a maggot. And worse, doesn't matter if you use an amp or not, it drops about 30% of the power output. Unless your driving a convertable semi, forget this piece of crap.

I boo booed with my Road Devil though. I had left the hot wire from pin 6 contact the metal coating on the inside of the mic's shell and shorted something out on the RD'd circuit board. Also,I may have placed it to where it stayed keyed with the radio off(CRE-8900).

It would be nice if the industy voluntarily set some standards. make them all 6 pin, and the company can do what they want with them.

The Uniden 980 is 6 pin, it fits into the socket of the RCI-2985dx, but when you turn it on, it starts rolling through all the channels and won't stop till you turn it off. Never tried the RCI channel changer in the Uniden tho, probably a good thing. LOL

Maybe so but that's where your or someone else's workmanship comes into play. My CRE-8900 has the same mic pin wiring as a Delta Omegaforce so that a simple adapter will work for me there until I hey another Road Devil mic
Reason I said that is that the ebay seller I bought my new Road Devil from includes an adapter I the mic package.

Last edited:
Maybe so but that's where your or someone else's workmanship comes into play. My CRE-8900 has the same mic pin wiring as a Delta Omegaforce so that a simple adapter will work for me there until I get another Road Devil mic

Just tried out my new SRA-198 on my 959. The mic attentuates the audio I think as much as my Xtreme 2018 mic w/nc selected. If I stay close on the mic I still get full modulation.
I tried my new Road Devil mic on my 959 and I had to cut the mic's volume down to 7/8's in order to keep from pickin up ambient noise. It's loud and forget even trying to use the Galaxy's talkback.
Ranger SRA-198 Noise Cancelling Microphone Review

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.