• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Does the K30 antenna receive weather bands also?

May 28, 2023
I guess I should have looked into this before ordering. I got the K30 antenna and its packaging says nothing about if it can receive weather band frequencies or not. I also bought a Cobra HG A1500 antenna to compare side by side with the K30, and I know it can receive weather. It is advertised as weather band ready, and I also had it hooked up tonight playing with it and I got weather on two channels, crystal clear.

The K30 seems to be a better built antenna than the Cobra and I think I’d rather have it. The mast is a good bit stouter, and the magnet has incredible grip compared to the Cobra. The only advantages the Cobra has is it looks more appealing, all black instead of an unfinished metal whip, and it is 6” taller than the K30 overall, and the coax is also 9” longer, and in my install it looks like every inch counts. And the Cobra also allows for receiving weather. The K30 not being able to get weather bands will be a dealbreaker.

Depending on how close you are to the weather channel transmitters will determine how well either will work. The weather radio transmitters around me seem to be pretty stout. Easy to pick up 40 to 50 mile range on a telescopic scanner antenna inside the home.

Yeah, those weather stations have pretty strong signals. I can pick one up with a rubber duck. Shouldn't be a an issue.

If you're impressed with the k30 the k40 is even better. Had one back in the day but I use a Sirio 5000 and matching magnet mount now.

Reactions: ForestRunner98
Yeah, those weather stations have pretty strong signals. I can pick one up with a rubber duck. Shouldn't be a an issue.

If you're impressed with the k30 the k40 is even better. Had one back in the day but I use a Sirio 5000 and matching magnet mount now.
Yeah, I’d love the added performance but I was trying to keep it shorter because we have a lot of low hanging branches here over our roads. Not to mention drive thru clearances, I expect to scrape even with the K30 on the roof. Some are under 10’ high.

Yeah, I’d love the added performance but I was trying to keep it shorter because we have a lot of low hanging branches here over our roads. Not to mention drive thru clearances, I expect to scrape even with the K30 on the roof. Some are under 10’ high.
Oh you don't have to tell me about scraping. :LOL:My Sirio 5000 is on an SUV. Fast food drive throughs, the bank, parking garages, I've scraped them all. Just go real slow.

Well I installed if all tonight. My overall height is 107”, just under 9’. That’s 37” of antenna on top of 70” of truck. I’d say that should clear everything I’ve seen here locally. Lowest drive thru I’ve seen is 9’4”.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.