• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Done

As for the answer to the SS whip, it will be no better than the current whip if it is cut to the same length as the current whip. If not cut, it may tune well below the 11m band. The 102" whip is about 30" too long.
Homer
I believe an SS whip is better for no other reason than its diameter is much greater than the wire in a fiberglass whip. Since RF radiates from the surface of the antenna (skin effect) the SS whip has the most surface area. This is a big plus, especially in receive. It really helps pullings those weak signals out of the mud.

Reactions: TheRATT and HomerBB
Homer
I believe an SS whip is better for no other reason than its diameter is much greater than the wire in a fiberglass whip. Since RF radiates from the surface of the antenna (skin effect) the SS whip has the most surface area. This is a big plus, especially in receive. It really helps pullings those weak signals out of the mud.
I had not noticed a difference when I also replaced the original whip with a SS whip. It could be that my reason for doing it was because the original had been broken and I wanted to get back on the air not paying attention to any improvement except for being operational again.

Homer -

I have tried all sorts of driven antennas on my A99. SS whip, Francis Amazer, 7' Skipshooter seemed to be the best. The others weren't so great.. On the other end everyone said my signal always sounded the same no matter which driven antenna I was using. So who knows anyway. I stuck with the ss whip because my gut feeling is that it's the best.
I never cut my SS whip. I just fooled around with the tuning rings until I got a good SWR on 27.385.

Homer -

I have tried all sorts of driven antennas on my A99. SS whip, Francis Amazer, 7' Skipshooter seemed to be the best. The others weren't so great.. On the other end everyone said my signal always sounded the same no matter which driven antenna I was using. So who knows anyway. I stuck with the ss whip because my gut feeling is that it's the best.
I never cut my SS whip. I just fooled around with the tuning rings until I got a good SWR on 27.385.

For all this you earn the coveted antenna homebrewing award:

Homer Approved.jpeg

I get it, yeah, It may not be the best antenna, but for God sakes it gets out, i'm in California and a lot of my reports within the country are 10 DB plus, what I've learned from this is not to simply post anymore, a lot of haters, I get it haters are gonna hate, I apologize for posting as I have learned my lesson not to post on here and get out of this world wide DX forum, and yeah, spit on the guy and kick him to the curb for using a antron 99, on that note, I'll take down my 99 and go find some chicken wire , lmfao

Dude, please calm down a bit. Don't apologize for posting and try not to get so worked up over responses. One thing I absolutely love about this forum is that you get brutally honest interaction. Nobody is coming down on YOU for posting about the A99. If you have a whip already, or know where you can get one cheap, use it. But if you have to spend 60 or 80 bux for one it's not worth it. you can get a Sigma 5/8 wave for less than that and have a better antenna.

Last edited:
Reactions: sp5it and Crawdad
Don’t know it for a fact, but am guessing the word BANNED beneath Caliman’s name means he is no longer on the premises.

Reactions: Crawdad

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.