• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Drake TR7 Tranceiver w/Drake MN2700 Antenna Tuner & Power supply TRADE

iiiquaziii

Jan 17, 2014
Buffalo NY
Drake TR7 Transceiver + Drake MN2700 Tuner, + PSU + Mic

This a complete set, includes mic. It belonged to my grandfather for years, who bought it new. He handed it down to me, as he's getting up there in years (92) and hasn't really used it the past few years.

The good:

It was very well taken care of, and cosmetically is in great condition. It was always used/stored indoors, and there's barely any wear or condition issues at all on it. It looks almost new.

The first thing I did when I got it was open it up, and blow the dust out, as well as change a couple lightbulbs (all lights work) and spray out the knobs/switches (all knobs/buttons/switches work).

The transceiver has a SL-500 500hz CW filter installed, the other optional filters are not present.

This radio does work. I have made a few contacts in the eastern US...everyone I talked to gave me a good audio report. It's putting out its full power (100w) on all the bands I've tested.

Now for the bad:

The radio suffers from a minor random problem when using it. The volume will suddenly fade off to nothing over the course of about 5 seconds. When this occurs, I don't hear any static...no anything, completely no sound out the speaker. I power it off, and back on and 95% of the time it comes back on and will work fine for another random amount of time. Once in a while when it does this I will have to let it sit for a while before powering it back on to work normally. This problem is pretty random....sometimes I can use it 3 hours straight and it won't do it at all, other times it will do it 2 or 3 times in an hour and be a big nuiscance. Problem seems more frequent when the radio is physically cold (like if I have the window near it open)

Its (very) slightly off frequency, drifts a bit, but that is to be expected from a 30+ year old radio that hasn't been tuned or serviced I'd imagine.

Also, listening to AM sounds a bit rough (muffled). SSB on all bands I've tested sounds fine. I've tested it on 10m/12m/20/40m/80m.

There are no issues that I know about with the included power supply, microphone or antenna tuner. They work fine.

I have tried to be as honest as possible about the condition and operation/quality of this radio. I'm not looking to disappoint anyone here. It is exactly as I described it. I'm just getting into the hobby myself, and the few small issues this radio has are beyond my ability to fix, and I'm just looking for something newer.

I want to give this radio a new home, and second chance. I'd love for grandpas radio to live on in the hands of someone who likes to tinker...it's really too nice to part out. Just needs a loving touch of someone who knows these old rigs.

I am looking to trade for a modern cheaper ham setup....maybe a ICOM718 or something similar. Hit me up with some offers if serious.

I can separate pieces if need be from this set.

Reactions: hotrod

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.