• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DTV Broadcast Antenna

C2

Aug 3, 2005
I'm looking at OTA DTV.

So I have a pair of typical rooftop TV antennas (4-element VHF with about 15 elements UHF). These are supossedly cophased for the VHF band (roughly 8-10 feet apart on a vertical mast). The cophase harness was supposed to be 450-ohm ladder line, but I use two equal lengths of twin lead to a 300/75 ohm balun, and then finished the run with some cheap RG-59 (about 50 feet to a 3-way splitter).

I need better signal for some of the DTV stations so I decided that I'd replace the RG-59 with some twin lead all the way to a 300/75 ohm balun at the splitter.

Results were good with signals measuring 30% popping up to over 70%. The only thing I'm worried about now is multipath.

Someone said that RG6 would be better, but I thought that the loss relative to twin lead might knock out some of the weaker channels.

I guess I'm getting all the channels I'm gonna get, so there is nothing left to do.

40 digital channels, minus 10 spanish or foriegn language, so 30 digital.

and the typical run of about 15 analog, most duplications of the digitals...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.