• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dual Band HT

ponykilr

Feb 20, 2014
Looking for a good Dual Band HT 2M/440. Needs to be good quality. Looking at Icom T-70 and Yaesu FT-60 but wondering what you would recommend. Is there anything with the durability/cost of these units in a dual watch?
Anyone with a T-70 or Ft-60 who could offer a quick review?

I have two Baofeng UV-5RTP These are the triple power ones 1, 4, 8 watts, I keep it on 4 watts which rally puts out a little over 5 on 144 and just 4 on 440. I also use a Wouxun KG-UV8D. All of these are dual band. The Baofeng are alittle more detailed to hand program as after you save the main frequency you have to go back and save the spilt one two and to put it in letters manually. But if you do it from the software its a snap. the Wouxun is easier to program by hand. Both radio's are great units and I got mine Wouxun from Cheapham for $79.00.

The Boofang's and Waxons are OK radios for what they are, but are a pain to manually program. If I used them all the time, it would become second nature, but I don't. The big 4 rigs are usually more intuitive to program. Yes! Alinco is part of the big 4.

Yes I agree the Chinese rigs are harder to program but Chirp(free program) supports most of the (and most of the big4) and makes it very easy to program them.

Thanks for the replies fellas, but I mentioned Icom and Yaesu quality. Water resistance and durability is important in my quality requirements.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.