• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dual final mod on a DX959? Thoughts?

IMO not worth it. If you want more power output use a amplifier behind it.

If you want a more power out type radio then buy a dual final rig.

The 959 with some mods can be a great performer, I have a couple of them and they work great.

Google is your friend on the mods. Basically it is just parts upgrade to make it more stable and there is a board for the channels plug and play but of course will need alignment also. I think it is Les Comm that makes the board, EBAY may have it or google Les Comm.

can understand not wanting a external amp so heres my recomendations .
goto customcbradio.com hes done a galaxy 959 w/ a 2290 final and even a 2879 final
close too 150 watts pep with the single 2879 final. other option 2970n2
heres some dual final export rigs. rated from best to least. imho
2950 dx
superstar 158
voyage 9000 [rci]
rci 3900
to my best of knowledge there is no dual final cb unless it been modified

Reactions: 1 person
Anyone had the dual final mod done to a DX959? Was it worth it, or was it basically a waste of time and cash?

I did it and it cost me about $5 in parts and less than an hour to do
worth it? yes and no, yes if you don't plan to run an amp

but for a simple install consider the RM italy AD-203 internal 4 mosfet amp, about $45 - $60, runs cool, cheap and works great on sideband, they knock out about 100-175 watts PEP

there isnt a dual fin cb

its not type accepted,so you are talking of a export radio...the rci2950dx is a great one for 10/11/12 am/fm/ssb/cw for the bucks,and very dependable...i have one thats not converted and wont be...or the rci2970n2...you have to rember you double pwr to see any s meter change,5 wts to 10 wtts,then 20 wts then 40 wts then 80 wts trhen 200 then 400 and theres the big one double it 1600...i am so tickelde the peeps that say it only does 70 to 800 wts and should do 1000...theres no signal strenght between 7 ot 8 hundred and 100 wts...hehe 73 de JW

I did it and it cost me about $5 in parts and less than an hour to do
worth it? yes and no, yes if you don't plan to run an amp

but for a simple install consider the RM italy AD-203 internal 4 mosfet amp, about $45 - $60, runs cool, cheap and works great on sideband, they knock out about 100-175 watts PEP

Are they not a C class amp??

AD 203 Stinger Board with $10 Instant Rebate, DNJ Radio

ad203.jpg

The output devices used in this unit are called 'RM3'; uses four of them. I suspect are really the same thing as a IRF520N MOSFET. Which means that each device is putting out ~35w. Total of 140w; but that would be pushing it a bit too hard. Dunno if it is AB biased or not. AM/FM only. Price is pretty cool though for the amount of power output - IMO . . .

However, this next amp would probably be the better amp for the price.

http://www.dnjradio.com//product_info.php?cPath=22_23&products_id=31

kl200p.gif

Think this unit would be a better choice, as it is rated @200w/SSB and 100w/AM output. Better choice for the 959; so long as it is NOT over-driven with too much output power in SSB mode or over-modulation/too much power in AM mode from the radio. A 1w dead key on AM and no more than 10-11w PEP on SSB should be considered for this using this amp. They have a history of frying if you over-drive them; so feed them correctly. Dunno what kind of output devices it uses though; sorry.

Last edited:
Yeah, I just don't want to install an external amp...was trying to figure out if adding a second final to a radio I already own was better than buying a dual final radio. My biggest fear is this new truck will suffer from RFI if I go to big or if I have something that's not clean. I have three radio choices, the 959 is the only one that can have the dual final mod done.

I have a lead on a Stryker 447HPC for $175 locally, but I'm reading its a single "flange-mounted" transistor, which indicates its like a 2290/2879? Thinking it would be too much? Again, my fear is RFI in this new truck.

Like the RFX-75? I've read that they are splatter boxes? That's definitely crossed my mind, but the fear of RFI affecting this new truck made me decide against one.

Like the RM Italy one Robb posted. You can control the output with the power knob. Set it up where you can get max power from the board without splattering or overdriving, and you should be fine. I've got a 203p amp I run sometimes. 4w in gets about 60w out. Cuts through the static on 19 and skip most everywhere else. Can get across the county at night, too.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.