• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ducie Island

novakor

Apr 5, 2005
Reno,Nevada
I did it!!! I have now worked VP6DX DXpedition from Dicie Island. I tried saturday with no luck due to the fact they were running split:unsure:,once i figured that out i gave it a try on sunday mid morning and he came back to me on my third try with a 5/9 report.

QSL card will be sent out tuesday.Here is the link which will give you all info regarding time ,fequency and QSL info.BTW i did this on 21.295 rx split 21.305tx with an antron99 and 100 watts:). Good Luck

http://ducie2008.dl1mgb.com/index.php

Good one! I got him on 15 the day before the contest started. He was running a string of JAs that I couldn't even hear. I was using a very poor experimental antenna I'd just about given up on. He was about the only signal on the band and I had about zero hope -- but one call on 21.003 got him in my log -- and more important, it got me in HIS log!

Beetle,
Thanks alot.......it was a great contact,i jumped up out of my seat in excitment. I will now try him on either 10 or 17 meters. I'm in his log :)

73 my friend

(y) Great job guys!! i heard a couple of guys on 40 talking about thier good luck working him> I couldn't hear him due to the terrible static crashes fromthe ice/snow storm coming through the past 24 hours.

I made 357 QSOs in just on-and-off operating during the CW contest. Only one new country (VP6DX), but a few new JA Cities and "Guns" and several new prefixes. Got all continents - and just with an experimental antenna that I'm going to have to take a better look at.

Oh - 15 of the contacts were on 10 M, mostly Japan. Didn't hear the VP6 at all on 10.

Good stuff guys.(y)

Beetle, what are you using for an experimental antenna? I have some problems right now with my tribander so 10-20m is a problem for me and the inverted L is too close to the tower to work as well as it should.It needs radials as well.Even the rotator is broken here as well so I am really screwed for antennas. I have been having a lot of problems with my left knee lately and even stairs is a problem so it will be a while before I can climb the tower to do any work.:angry:Surgery is looking like the better option all the time. In the mean time I shall continue to design a foldover option and new base for my free standing Delhi 54 foot tower I have. That would cure the wx and knee problems as far as antenna repairs goes.

QRN - I'm using a top-fed vertical, hanging from one of my quad spreaders, with the remaining wires tied together as a make-do counterpoise. The radiator is about 20 feet long, and it's stood off from the tower and held straight vertical with a fiberglass fishing pole blank at the bottom end. I'm using RG-8X (all I had at the time) for feedline and the whole mess through a tuner.

Actual VSWR is lowest on 15 - around 1.6:1. Ten isn't bad, but coax loss contributes a lot here. I measure 2.4:1 at 28.025, and just under 3:1 at 14.025.

Still in all, I can't argue with success! The idea of the "top-fed vertical" harks back to my Navy days, when I used just such an antenna on the Kitty Hawk for the ship's ham station. Of course, an aircraft carrier makes a bit better ground plane (oops! "plane" - get it??) than a couple hundred feet of wire...

Sorry to hear about your knee problems. My spousal unit has bad knees also, but she had some varicose veins in her legs stripped about 25 years ago - so she's a poor risk for any kind of leg surgery now.

I can now check off 17 meters as being in the log. I will keep trying on 10 meters although it's been real dead here. Maybe i'll try 20m as well,thats like shooting fish in a barrel:). I'v read that there are lots of new DXpeditions coming.............rare and exotic DX. How many here have tried Ducie Island?

I worked him on 17 cw was very easy, also worked gambier island same day on 17cw, heard pitcarin but band folded.

DOCTOR/795

I worked him on 17/Phone this afternoon, 5x9, from the mobile (y) here in Ca.
Awesome contact WhoHooo!!!!

Great job Jeff,infact that is really great from the mobile. Jeff you can go to there site i have posted above and click on "online log" type in your call to see that you are indeed in there log.

I worked him on 17 cw was very easy, also worked gambier island same day on 17cw, heard pitcarin but band folded.

Great job Doc........i know where picarin Is is but where is gambier Is. Is it in the same chain?

WWRF hams GOTA and gives this DXpedition a try,they go through alot of time and effort to put it on the air.

Again, Just worked VP6DX on 12 meters, Phone, Mobile, Again 5x9!!
Woo Hooo!!
This was on a 96" Fiberglass Whip, ( francis ) via the Yaesu Ft897D & At 200 Pro @ 100 Watts :drool:
Got to love DX! (y)

Jeff

WooHooooo!!!!!
I feel like A Happy Hamer! ( hahahahaha)
Just got contacts on 10 Meters (5x9) and 15 meters (5x9) Mobile!!
(y)(y)(y)
Yah Baby!
Who says that you need a Screwdriver??
Not Me !!
( Wait till you guys see my Home made 20 meter antenna, work in progress :drool: )

love it love it love it...

Jeff

Yeah..... i can now check off 12 and 20 phone.So far 12,15,17 and 20 meters.
10 meter has been tough on this end......maybe i need too use that 96" Fiberglass Whip:). Anyway i'm confused with RX & TX for 40 meters,someone break it down for me please.TIA

Great Job Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.