• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dx-160 help ?

Se7en

Jun 27, 2010
Ca
So far iv gotten to tune in wwv 15mhz, but I would like to listen to my local AM stations: 670khz and 1070khz where do I set the a,b,c,d, switch and where do I tune the BFO ? In the manual it states to switch to B , But its silent on AM even @ full volume. If I switch to ssb its very loud but cant tune anything in....:(

Help please ?

★ Sent from my Droid★

Sounds like you've brought a turd into the house.

That isn't very helpful.

It cost me $50 off the bay.
So far iv been able to tune in channel 6 (superbowl). And a few other ssb frequencys.

IF ANYONE KNOWS WHAT TO CHECK INSIDE FOR SOMETHING BAD to fix the AM Broudcast RX problem please reply.

★ Sent from my Droid★

Last edited:
AM is band "b".

I leave the BFO just left or right of 12 o'clock.

It's probably just the mode switch, I've got my dad's dx-160, sat in his basement for 20 years and the contacts need cleaned, if it go back and forth between AM and SSB and tap the switch it'll eventually switch over to AM.

AM is band "b".

I leave the BFO just left or right of 12 o'clock.

It's probably just the mode switch, I've got my dad's dx-160, sat in his basement for 20 years and the contacts need cleaned, if it go back and forth between AM and SSB and tap the switch it'll eventually switch over to AM.

OK thank you. Am and ssb switch fine its just no audio on am unless I crank the vol to max and turn up my amplified speakers up. Ill get some contact cleaner tmrw and spray the switch am ssb and a,b,c,d, switch inside let it dry see id that fixs it. Where exactly is 12o'clock on the bfo?

★ Sent from my Droid★

I cannot remember but isn't there a separate antenna connector for below 2mhz or something? Maybe you need yo switch the antenna connection. It's been a looooong time since,k i played wiyh s DX160.

I cannot remember but isn't there a separate antenna connector for below 2mhz or something? Maybe you need yo switch the antenna connection. It's been a looooong time since,k i played wiyh s DX160.
My manual I printed online doesn't say which one is what there is ant 1 , ant 2 , and ground (we all know what that's for).
typu6yby.jpg

★ Sent from my Droid★

Strap the two together with a piece of wire and feed both antenna inputs at the same time or tune to the broadcast band and attach the antenna to each input separately and see if there is a difference.

Strap the two together with a piece of wire and feed both antenna inputs at the same time or tune to the broadcast band and attach the antenna to each input separately and see if there is a difference.

:( no difference. Im on my way yo pick up some contact cleaner.

Iv noticed there is a 6" paper time with lots of copper wire wrapped around it inside the radio isnt that the am braudcast antenna ?

★ Sent from my Droid★

Fixed ! Switch contact was bent. Now to figure out how to tune into 1070khz iv been trying to fins it for 35min now...

★ Sent from my Droid★

IIRC I installed an SO239 connector and wired it to several turns of wire around that ferrite loopstick antenna. Been so long ago I forget but I do know I could hear European, North African and Moddle East stations on the longwave and AM broadcast bands nack in the late seventies and early eighties.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.