• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DX959 - Unknown/understood mod

Got it Robb, no problem there, part of the problem was VR12. change that out adjustments went well, all is good. Getting about 26 or so SSB and about 12 on the AM swing 5 watt DK. Now to get mine sounding better , got it used from a truck driver at work, said he didn't like it, AM sounds fine SSB tx is really "muddy " sounding, limiter is still in it, but I haven't looked it over real close yet, price was right, NEVER ARGUE WITH FREE!

The next step is to peak the transmit coils on ch20 in USB mode. That should take care of the muffled-sounding audio - provided that you use a decent mic for the peaking. I use a D104-m6 (with the 270k resistor clipped inside the mic for a far better audio response) and this:
Freesound.org - "TONE 1 kHz 44.1 16bit.wav" by klangfabrik
Xlnt results guaranteed.

Turn the mic gain on the radio down to 1/2 or less, just enough to make the meter show ~10w or so when peaking. Be sure to let the final/driver cool for a minute or two between each transmit coil being tuned; or these tuning steps could fry the final or driver.

Do not - repeat - do not spread any coils; an idiotic move that still exists fueled by myths.
Nothing but problems if you do that!

Attachments

• coil peaking.PNG
    coil peaking.PNG
    31.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Yup, Thanks Robb.....gave the whole radio a good once over, found a few traces where it looks like parts have been replaced, all the components are what they should be but the trace is pulled up where the part lead is through the board. Fixed all of those as best I could, and did change Q54 out right away. Aligned it from the specs it the Service manual, John at Galaxy says that minus the output section is still the same. Radio sounds much better, still has a slightly "nazaly" element to the audio when I listen to it through my headphones on my Yaesu, but nothing like it was. Seems to take a while to get on frequency too, gotta adjust the clarifier to about 11 o'clock and 10 or 15 minutes works it back to 12, then it seems stable. Wish it was a little tighter.... been told the crystals are the problem, know anything that helps?

Thank you ,

Tinkerer

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.