• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

early (80s) cobra 148gtl

redbeast

Aug 14, 2016
Well gentlemen, alzheimers starts early. I thought I had gotten rid of my 148gtl, but I guess I was smarter than I thought. In any event- I have, as the title, a 148gtl that I used when I was OTR in the 80s. started in 81. Can't remember if I bought the radio just before or after I started- but here's the deal. It always seemed to talk real well, never had issues. I had a shop put extra channels in it and unlock the clarifier, don't believe it was ever modded for power. What I'd like to do is get it gone over by either a reputable shop or maybe one of you gentlemen who is into repair. I've been reading threads on the 148s, and the clarifier unlock- have no idea whether mine was done right or not. The way things are today- hard to find a reliable and knowledgeable tech- seem to be plenty of you out there that post and know what you're talking about and doing.
What I'd appreciate is some feedback as to getting this unit put right and strong. I've read the threads on replacing the caps( pros/cons), I know there's a power mod for the am side using the mosfet final and driver; I was trying to keep up on the threads concerning the clarifier unlock and extra channels......water got a little deep. Since this is one of the goodies, I'm not sticking my hands in it, don't have the knowledge or equipment but would like to get this guy gone through as I'm back on the road mailing mail. I'd definitely appreciate some advice and direction. Oh, BTW- back in the day I ran this radio and used a kenrich "richochet" echo box and also had a "golden eagle" linear- no, not a browning. Were these linears any good, as I never seemed to have an issue. Yeah, I admit- probably got truck stop talked by the hacks----live and learn. The serial # on my 148 is 13011528 (Taiwan), and FWIW the linear was a 250 watt # 251588- think this linear is worth going through????? numbers atcha

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.