• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Efficiency of amps

Heavy Metal

Aug 23, 2014
what makes or gives the amp their efficiency and how do you do figure out the efficiency. For example Ameritron says 65% efficiency how did they determine that as well, just curious, again I know I ask some reall weird and sometimes stupid questions but who is going to ask them LOL and how many wonder themselves too.

Again as always thanks.

The class of amplifier (A, AB, B, or C, generally) determines how efficient the design is. To determine efficiency you need to calculate how much power (E x I) the primary power source (wall socket or battery) has to supply and how much RF power (E x I) is put out at the amplifier output. Do the simple math and there you are.

Take it A is best and C is least efficient correct?

And Ameritron amps fall
Under which and heathkit SB-220 falls under?

in theory class C should be the most efficient and A the least efficient in properly designed amplifiers,

on the other hand class C davemade clones are very inefficient when run on stock voltage when compared to conventional design AB amps so you can't always only look at the class of operation.

That depends on what mode you want to use the amplifier on,
for fm class C is ideal, for AM/SSB class AB is ideal,

class A rf amps are often found in low level IF stages and sometimes in the PA stage of HF sets but most HF PA's are class AB.

Ok understood, I was wondering seeing Ameritron advertises @65% efficiency but some are saying heathkit SB-220 and SB-221 are more efficient with right mods and can produce @2kw or more depending on drive and drive can be run up to 200 watts. That's kinda insane or am I wrong?

They can't take 200 watts input, unless there's a swamping network on the input. You'd roast the tubes in short order. The SB-220/221's do best with about 75-100W drive.

Also, your efficiency goes down as you go up in frequency. That's also a factor. You may be 65-70% efficient in 160-40 meters, but once you get above 20 meters it starts going down. Get into 10 and 6 meters and you're going to be in the ballpark of about 50% efficient.

~Cheers~

The Swan Mark II amplifier with it's (2) 3-500z's was designed to handle the matching Swan 500CX transceiver that could do up to 300 watts PEP on SSB on it's own.

I have not tried that yet o_O

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.