• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Elecraft K3 ?????? Fact or Myth???????

FJR Predator

Jun 24, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
How does the Elecraft K3 radio compare to the "Top of the line" big three imports ( Icom, Yaesu and Kenwood ) in performance, reliability and price? Even though $2K - $4K isn't cheap optioned out, my understanding is that the performance of the K3 is comparable to some $6K -$10K rigs out there.

Facts or Myth?????

I have two HAM friends that run K2s and one with a K3 and they swear the rigs are the cat's meow.... Great on receive and well planned out in the filter department. The ones I have worked on the air sound fine and compare to the big three....

mechanic aka KB8DNS

One of the guys that I just finished training as a Navy MARS operator is a field tester for Elecraft. I hear his K3 on the air several time a week and it's top notch. The receiver specs on the Elecraft K3 are probably the best on the market, and the price isn't all that bad compared to the big 3. And you get the added plus that your dollars are going to an American company.

I was thinking about trying to acquire one of these rigs as a kit and doing a photo build for the forum. If you decide to get one, please let us know what you think about it.

Elecraft is definitely great radios for performance. I personally would take the K3 or a TenTec over any ICOM and Kenwood HF Rigs.

They are a good radio but like a number of radios with DSP it does not handle QRM all that well or in my opinion CW with QRM .

They are a good radio but like a number of radios with DSP it does not handle QRM all that well or in my opinion CW with QRM .

Is this from personal experience? The K3 has RX specs that are in a whole other league compared to other ham rigs. I've also never owned a DSP rig that handled QRM worse than a non-DSP rig, so I'd like to understand what you're saying better.

Does the K3 have IF or AF DSP? Audio DSP is merely a bandaid or mask that filters the noise but does nothing to combat the real problem. IF DSP actually processes the incoming RF signal and is much better than audio (AF) DSP.

K3 has IF dsp.

here is performance comparison against other radios elecraft K2 HF Tranceiver Performance Numbers

When you are on CB, chances are if you receive splatter it actually being transmited by the station doing the splattering. But on ham radio, often splatter you hear is generated by your own receiver. With these rigs that have such great IP3 and blocking dynamic range, you can be sure any splatter you experience is actually transmitted by transmitting station.

K3 Receiver

It does have one of the best if not THE best receiver on the market.

Well not really, It here's the same thing most any receiver in it's price class here's. It's the close in rejection of a strong signal that makes the K3 a nice rig for contesting. Most rigs tend to get over loaded (distorted) from a strong signal one or two KHZ away. It's not like the K3 will here a signal a Yaesu FT-2000D won't here, If the K3 heres a week signal at S-1 the Yaesu (or Icom,or Kenwood) will Here the same signal at S-1 as well. Hope this helps better understand the K3s receiver.

Frank.

Well not really, It here's the same thing most any receiver in it's price class here's. It's the close in rejection of a strong signal that makes the K3 a nice rig for contesting. Most rigs tend to get over loaded (distorted) from a strong signal one or two KHZ away. It's not like the K3 will here a signal a Yaesu FT-2000D won't here, If the K3 heres a week signal at S-1 the Yaesu (or Icom,or Kenwood) will Here the same signal at S-1 as well. Hope this helps better understand the K3s receiver.

Frank.

I never said it would hear things the others would not. I said it had one of the best if not the best receiver. A receiver comprises much more than just the front end preamp. The receiver filters and IF DSP unit also comprise what makes a receiver as well as the noise floor and the overall sensitivity therefore I stand by what I said.

Thats the problem!

You only stated your opinion about the K3s receiver being the best, but no explanation as to why it is that way over any other rig.
My post lets someone take away some useful information as to why it might be considered as a top contender.

:oops: It's not the number of posts, it's the quality of them.

Light can only be seen when reflected, sound can only be heard
if someone is listening. Comprehension requires both!

Frank. KK6FR

It's as good as flagship models from the big guys at a much lower price point and it's a US product (made just a few miles from me)Why wouldn't anybody have it on their short list?

I had mine almost two years and love it. Great receiver. I run it hard with MARS. No complaints here. I am still not tired of it and I'm going to hold onto it for a long time.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.