• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Entry Level HF Rig

Well, the IC-718 is $664.00 at Gigaparts, and the IC-7200 is $874. I have a 718 and like it a lot, but given the fact that you want to travel in your RV, and you want 6 meters, I'd give the nod to the IC-7200. It has a somewhat rugged case, and has 6 meters, and has built in adjustable filters along with a roofing filter. Very good reviews on Eham, too. Seems like a lot of radio for the money to me.

Brett

Reactions: 1 person
I have the 857d and run it mobile a lot of the time, then when I take it inside I have it hooked up to an old computer running Windows XP Pro, 1.25GB of ram, 40Gb hard drive, and a 20" widescreen LCD

the 857d bring a lot o the table for the price, with a rig like the 857d you can run 160, 80, 60, 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12, 10, 6, 2, 70cm, AM, FM, USB, SSB, CW, yes even on 2/440... though I must admit 2m AM is kinda dead, lol

My vote is cast on the 480SAT. I have one installed in my mobile, and love it. I do have the extra 1.8 Khz filter, but seldom use it. As far as the mic not plugging into the separate control head, that is fine by me, as it is one less cord dangling around to worry about. My mic cord comes up between the seats, where it is less obtrusive, and a neater install.

Also, I would not call the 480, "entry level". A Heathkit HW12 is entry level. Or an MFJ single bander.:LOL:

Kenwood TS480 or the Icom 7200. Both have pros and cons that effectively cancel each other out. Performance on RX in regards to close in signal handling is almost identical and not that different that you'd notice without test gear. TS480 a bit easier to use due to having more controls on the front panel than in menus and a clearer to see display.

I would stay away from the Yaesu FT857/897 for a first HF radio due to the ergonomics. They're not easy to use for a new user. Too many things you use regularly require delving into menus to change. Selector knob failure on the FT857 is very common due to how much you need to use it.

I cannot believe no one has brought up the FT-950!!!
This is not a "Back-Packer"...but grab the handle and take along...Yes!
Great TX audio...Excellent RX...HF/6m...all there
Just recently replaced by the FTdx-1200...
The FT-950 / 43xxx serial number and above are good buys at $800-$900 for good used pricing...(just passed on one for $750)
They closed them out and maybe still find one for $1100 +/- some change...
For all around HF and 6m MO was the best buy in radio...
Add the MTU preselector for 80/40m and it's even better!

I just upgraded to the FTdx-3000....SUPER RIG....Unreal receiver!
But guess what?
I KEPT the FT-950!!!:p:
Well there's my 2 cents worth
All the Best
Gary

I cannot believe no one has brought up the FT-950!!!
This is not a "Back-Packer"...but grab the handle and take along...Yes!
Great TX audio...Excellent RX...HF/6m...all there
Just recently replaced by the FTdx-1200...
The FT-950 / 43xxx serial number and above are good buys at $800-$900 for good used pricing...(just passed on one for $750)
They closed them out and maybe still find one for $1100 +/- some change...
For all around HF and 6m MO was the best buy in radio...
Add the MTU preselector for 80/40m and it's even better!

I just upgraded to the FTdx-3000....SUPER RIG....Unreal receiver!
But guess what?
I KEPT the FT-950!!!:p:
Well there's my 2 cents worth
All the Best
Gary

You brought up a real contender, that's for sure. I have not looked at this rig previously simply because of price... didn't realize they are offering a 250 dollar rebate. 3 Roofing filters, adjustable filters, built in antenna tuner, built in mic EQ, built in TCXO (usually an add on at extra cost) and lots of features of their higher end FT-2000 and FT-DX9000. The only thing I have to wonder about is HRO lists it as 40 pounds shipping weight. Does that thing really weigh more than my Kenwood TS-520???

YAESU FT-950 | HF/6M 100W TRANSCEIVER 13.8 VDC 3 ROOFING FILTERS

Great suggestion!

Brett

You brought up a real contender, that's for sure. I have not looked at this rig previously simply because of price... didn't realize they are offering a 250 dollar rebate. 3 Roofing filters, adjustable filters, built in antenna tuner, built in mic EQ, built in TCXO (usually an add on at extra cost) and lots of features of their higher end FT-2000 and FT-DX9000. The only thing I have to wonder about is HRO lists it as 40 pounds shipping weight. Does that thing really weigh more than my Kenwood TS-520???

YAESU FT-950 | HF/6M 100W TRANSCEIVER 13.8 VDC 3 ROOFING FILTERS

Great suggestion!

Brett

Brett: You can never say for sure what op's will like and enjoy...That said I bought my FT-950 going on 5 years ago. Thus had I not got such a deal on that NEW FTdx-3000 from Roger at R & L, I was looking into purchasing a second New FT-950.
You pointed out several the features, but what I found one of the nice things was the rig was complete, no extra filters, no option this or that that.
Yes the MTU preselectors are extra, but they are extra on the 2000/D...3000/and the 5000...so you buy them if you want them. I owned my 950 for 4 years before I bought the first one (80/60/40m version)...like I said before Great RX stock out of the box....better with the tuning units.
I see no time in the near future where my FT-950 will leave the shack...
My FT-990 will leave before the 950 ever does:D
All the Best
Gary

You're right...we didn't consider used. I've just bought a 10 week old Icom 7000 for 60% of the new price and the 2 year Icom warranty is transferrable.

Thanks for everyone's input. Very helpful. I finally placed an order yesterday. Went with the Icom IC-7200.

Awesome! Nice to get radio gear at Christmas. :) Maybe you can do a small review and post pics of the rig after you've used it for a bit?

Brett

Icom IC 7000? It would be better than the 857d for your eyes although would be a little more expensive and covers VHF/UHF.

I would agree the IC-7000 is head and shoulders above the others mentioned. The fact it has VHF and UHF is a bonus and I can tell you you will be glad to have it when the situation arises that you need those bands and don't have access to your other rigs.

I own the FT-857D, it is a great radio, the IC-7000 is like one of those on Steroids! The receiver is better, the transmit functions are better an once you go through the manual and have it set up properly, you will love it.

the other rigs mentioned only cover the big three manufacturers, how about a K3? Ten Tec? How about a good used top of the line rig a few years old like a IC-756 PRO 3 or it's sibling the IC-746 Pro? Take it a step further back the FT-1000D FT-1000 MK 5, or the Field version. All work very well.

I own and use a FT-901DM it was the top of the line for Yaesu back in the late 70's and early 80's. The receiver is as good if not better than most of the current radios being sold new. The two closest rigs that come close and not even match it are the FTDX-5000, IC-756PRO3.

Check out Sherwood ratings. Only the K-3 and the Hilberling 8000 beat it by more than a few dB in receive noise floor ratings. After over 30 years it hold its own with the best out there. At a measure 138dB on HP equipment and Sherwood's measurement showing slightly less you can find a great working model for under $600.00.

There are BOAT ANCHORS in use today that will meet and can beat the current offerings! How many know that. Portability can be an issue, ok, how about a Cubic Astro? How about an FT-757 GX1or 2?

All these rigs work, it depends on what you want to spend, what features you will USE, not want and never use, but actually use should determine your choice.

Good luck and please remember there are a lot of rigs and until you have tried them don't reject them them out of hand or limit yourself to just the big three as choices.

I have had

I have 3 IC-7000's, two are mobile and have never had display issues.

You said you already have 2m/70cm radios, are they all mode? With the 7000 you get 2m/70cm all mode which is very nice.

Learning how to operate the 7000 is very important to make it shine, I have some friends that comment that my mobile radio in my truck sounds better than their 7000. After working with them teaching them how to use the filters and the various settings they are much happier. It's a great radio and you really need to experiment with the settings to get the most out of the radio.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.