• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Experts please: Looking for a new antenna solution for my Wrangler

I have officially given up on my mast/Firestik setup. With the new coax, etc. I cannot get the SWR below 2.5. The level on the Galaxy shows 1.1. Not sure what to do here. Might grab a Sirio mag mount for the hood.

I have officially given up on my mast/Firestik setup. With the new coax, etc. I cannot get the SWR below 2.5. The level on the Galaxy shows 1.1. Not sure what to do here. Might grab a Sirio mag mount for the hood.

still using same mount? make sure the whole firestick is above the jeep roofline
it maybe seeing alot of refect if its not.whats your coax lenth?
swr 2.5 i this with a external meter?? any other devices hooked up
while dialing in antenna?

still using same mount? make sure the whole firestick is above the jeep roofline
it maybe seeing alot of refect if its not.whats your coax lenth?
swr 2.5 i this with a external meter?? any other devices hooked up
while dialing in antenna?

Hey Hotrod.

at least 2/3 of the antenna is above the roof-line. The mount is above the spare tire. I think pics are on the first page of the thread. I am using an external meter, and no other devices are hooked up.

I have spent so much time over the past year fiddling with it and I have just about had it. I have a Little 'Wil on the hood in the center and it does not bother me whilst driving. Looking into mag-mounts and I will sell my other parts hopefully.

I got the tape today. Would liquid electrical tape work too? They had it on the same rack. I got the tape instead because I could take it off easy.

The liquid electrical tape is just as good but should only used for more "permanent" applications. I think you did the right thing using tape as you can easily remove it later.

Hey guys.

For almost two years I have been running a Firestik II on the back of my Wrangler, mounted to a mast with a K-4A stud. I sanded the bottom of the mount point like I was told to do. Of course it is steel and rusts up fast, and I imagine that is not good for a proper ground.

I have tried everything and cannot get the SWR under 2.5 on any channel. I have messed with it for a long time and today decided to scrap the whole setup. Good thing too, since I broke the coax anyway.

So at the moment I have a Lil' Wil on the hood, in the center with the mag mount. This is a temporary setup.

I am looking for opinions on what would work best for me. I really don't want a whip in the middle of the hood, it might annoying fast. Should I look into something like this: Jeep Wrangler CB Antenna Mount For 2007 and Up

How would you do it? I like to DX on SSB at times, and unfortunately the hard top is fiberglass.

Here is how it looks at the moment:

what channel ya doing swr check on.? could be lack of ground. thinking that mount
might be the culprit. if the swr is 2.5 across the entire 40 channels then yes its a ground isssue

Hey Hotrod.

at least 2/3 of the antenna is above the roof-line. The mount is above the spare tire. I think pics are on the first page of the thread.

Just looked at the picture. You've no hope in hell of getting a low SWR with that. The current maximum is in the bottom half of the antenna and that's right next to the body. Antennas need to be completely clear of the body, not masked by any part of it as yours is. Also mounting it on a long stalk like that means its got a poor ground as well. It may be a good ground for DC but not for RF. The ground for the antenna, the car body, needs to be at its base and yours is a foot or so from that.

Jeeps with a roof on are a real PITA to mount antennas on and it pretty much limits you to the front fenders or an angle bracket coming out of the side of the hood.

Are you limited to the height of the firestick?? You could try a long shaft coil type antenna with a short whip, might work. 17 or 24" shaft and have a custom whip made. Maybe email either predator or monkey made and see what they say before giving up if you are willing to spend a little coin that is lol. Good luck and hope you get it resolved. Have you checked the mount with an ohm meter to make sure it's connected well. And also maybe try a ground braid strap from the mount to the frame, it needs to be a large one at least. 1/2" wide I would say, that's if you haven't already tried that. Anyway again good luck and god bless.

Keep the antenna where it is and just pull off the mount from time to time and sand the rust off.

Or use something like NO-OX-ID to coat the mating surfaces and once bolted into place,tastefully repaint the mount to desired color and patina to seal out any remote chance of moisture getting into the equation.

For example: I used that black rubberized looking tar on a strip from Radio Shack on my tv antenna 300-75 ohm matching wing-nut connections. After 12 years I reexamined the connections and they look like new with no visible corrosion.

A good coax,good grounded mount,good tuned antenna,and a good swr meter plus a good antenna mounting location should fix the whole deal.

At least your swr is 2.5 across the band.

I have been using a Little 'Wil on the hood with great results the past week at least. My Sirio 5000 should be here tomorrow =]

Thank's guys. My other parts are for sale on a Wrangler site.

I can't wait to get that Sirio going break break!

Reactions: 2 people
Just wondering if two ground plane radials are attached to the antenna mounting point parallel to the jeep's rear panel,would that provide an adequate ground plane. The antenna mounting point would have to be well grounded to the back of the jeep or else the coax is the ground plane.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.