• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Fair price for Kenwood TS-520S + extras

TMI

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
May 6, 2009
A ham in our club has a Kenwood TS-520S plus microphone plus antenna tuner, all in like new condition. No operating problems whatsoever. He's offered it to me for $275.

This would be my entry rig for HF, and I'm thinking this seems like a very fair price. Do you agree?

Thanks in advance for your advice,

Tom W3ROK

Yup, I don't mind a hybrid rig. I've heard the owner on my general coverage receiver, and his sound quality is very good through that rig.

I'd snap it up for that price as well. The old Kenwood hybrids are well respected and sound performers.I am luck enough to own a TS-820S with the matching external VFO-820, SP-820 speaker,MC-50 microphone,and AT-200 tuner. I plan on taking it with me when I die. (y)

:oops: The wife just walked in as I was typing that. She said if I don't hurry up and clean up the mess I have here I won't have to wait long. :whistle:

I plan on taking it with me when I die.

I look forward to making my first inter-dimensional contact with you.

But not very soon, I hope.

Hmmmm, what will be the prefix?

I'd snap it up for that price as well. The old Kenwood hybrids are well respected and sound performers. I am lucky enough to own a TS-820S with the matching external VFO-820, SP-820 speaker,MC-50 microphone,and AT-200 tuner.
+1. The '520 will make a very nice setup for the OP - had one in the early 80's and worked a lot of people with that rig.

As far as the '820 stuff goes: At this time, my main station lineup consists of two TS820S/R820 combos, plus a third - modded - R820, this set up for Ute and SWBC monitoring. I found the older Kenwoods' performance to be on par with most of the newer stuff where SSB/CW operation is concerned, and they actually drift a bit less than my 7-line equipment does.

QRN - have you modded yours for WARC band coverage?

As far as the '820 stuff goes: At this time, my main station lineup consists of two TS820S/R820 combos, plus a third - modded - R820, this set up for Ute and SWBC monitoring.

Wanna sell one of those R820's? Pretty please! :D I have been looking for one in good condx for quite some time.

QRN - have you modded yours for WARC band coverage?

No. Everything is original on mine and I plan to keep it that way. It is all mint condx,not even any dust inside it. The original owner kept it covered and used it very little. It still has the original Japanese S2001 finals which will still put out 125 watts+ on 10m if I push it which I don't. 100 watts is fine. (y)

Wanna sell one of those R820's? Pretty please! :D I have been looking for one in good condx for quite some time.

I see those receivers come up for sale from time to time. Funny thing is that they come in bunches - have found as many as three up for sale at once.

The "modded" one I have is an eBay rescue - was sold as DOA/incomplete, blown up...etc. Had to repair almost every board in the thing but for $225 plus a handful of parts, I'm not going to complain.

Watch eHam's Classifieds - I see them posted for sale on that site more than anywhere else.

Everything is original on mine and I plan to keep it that way. It is all mint condx,not even any dust inside it. The original owner kept it covered and used it very little. It still has the original Japanese S2001 finals which will still put out 125 watts+ on 10m if I push it which I don't. 100 watts is fine. (y)
One can change the 15 MHz WWV/JJY segment to 10 MHz, and add 12 or 17M to the AUX spot. This is reversible and in no way alters the appearance of the rig. If you (or any other 820 owner) wish more info on what's needed, let me know and I'll be glad to help.

FWIW, one of my "sets" were modded to cover 17 and 12M; the other will be getting 30 and 12...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.