• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Fairly new to HF, trying to figure out logging...

N1RKR

I recently upgraded my license and have been getting to HF, both SSB and PSK... For the moment, I've been logging my QSOs using QRZ.com as well as eQSL.cc... I do QRZ.com because I like how it shows which countries I've worked, with the flags and such in my logbook display, and eQSL.cc because it's actually QSL cards that are exchanged (electronic, but better than nothing)...

However, I've noticed some shortcomings doing it the way I do it. And I'm sure there are things I haven't thought of yet.

First shortcoming is that I have to do everything twice. Since I'm logging to two different websites, all the information has to be put in twice. Ugh.

Second, neither of these options tell me whether I've worked a station before. Particularly with PSK, QSOs happen pretty quickly. I see a CQ out there, I copy the call, look it up on QRZ so I have something to work with, and usually by that time the calling party is done with their call out of CQ, and I can work them if I choose to (assuming I don't recognize the call as a previously worked call)... But now, as the number of stations I've worked grows, I don't remember all the calls I've worked, and tonight I got my first double, a station I worked tonight I worked just a month ago, also on PSK-31...

So here's what I'd like. A windows program that will allow me to log first and foremost. I'd like to enter a call, and have it look up the info (and tell me if I've worked them before - and if so, what date/freq/mode/etc). If I work that call, then I'd like to click a button that makes a log entry with date/time/freq/mode, as well as retrieved data (full name/location/locator code/etc). Ideally it'd interface with at least eQSL.cc, but would be nice if it also interfaced with QRZ.com as well. Future expansion capability to LotW would be nice too. Any other logging sites I currently don't know about would be cool too...

Synchronization would be important as well. QRZ.com tracks confirmed QSOs, and eQSL.cc does as well. It'd be nice if my logging program could sync up and store locally confirmations from those sites (and any other sites I choose to use in the future).

For future expandability, I know newer radios are capable of talking to the computer giving info like s/n ratios, current freq, s-meter levels, etc. My current radio does not do this, but if I upgrade in the future... *shrug*

And, a nice feature, though not absolutely required, would be the ability to do most functions using a keyboard. For instance, if I look up a call, then click a button to have it log a QSO with that callsign, then I'd like to have all the things I enter be able to be done without a bunch of mouse clicks. Using tab to move between fields is (was) a basic thing in older programs, but many newer windows programs seem not to do this very well. I am a touch typist, and can move very quickly through a form using the tab key.

In regards to reporting, the ability to show how many, and what countries I've worked would be nice. I love the look of QRZ using the country's flag in their list is neat, and it would be cool if the logging program did that too. Also, I'd like to be able to see how many states I've worked. Basically, in regards to states, I'd like to "work all states", and once I do, I'd like to "work all states on each band", and/or "work all states on each mode", etc. Having a report showing me what I've done and what I need for these types of goals would be awesome.

And I know this last one is a long-shot, but for the moment, all my HF work is done at home, but in the future, I'd love to be able to put this logging program on my laptop, sync it up, and have all my info available if I decide to work HF from the mobile, or from another station, without having to write down the QSO information by hand and enter it when I get home. If I could enter it using a laptop, and have it automatically show up when I launch the program at home, that would be most excellent...

I've tried doing this research myself, but there are SOOOO many logging programs out there, and none of them quite do what i want them to, and there's really no central repository for the software where I can compare features and such, so I figured I'd throw out what I'm looking for in a forum, and see what people come back with.

Thanks in advance for all your help

Eric

Afterthought: eQSL has electronic QSL cards I can download. It would be super cool if the logging program could store locally an image of those eQSL cards? And for paper QSL cards, maybe scan an image of them and store those with the QSO log?

Last edited:

Hi Eric,

Your wish list is could a commercial for Ham Radio Deluxe (HRD). It will do most of the items on your wish list.

It will interface with most radios that allow computer rig control. Depending on the radio you can control almost all of the radios functions from the software.

I think the HRD logbook is the best general logging program I have used (I have tried many). If your radio is connected to the computer, and HRD software, the logbook will track the band, frequency, and mode automatically. If you don't have your radio and computer connected you can enter this info manually. The software will keep track of the date and time for you.

Enter in a call sign and it will look up the details on QRZ.com (if you are a QRZ XML lookup subscriber) and auto enter the data (name, country, grid, etc). You can tab through the fields and press enter to log the contact.

The logbook will let you know if you have worked the contact before (band, mode, date). It will also let you know if you need a contact from that country (DXCC entity) by band and mode. You can also view summaries of your contacts to see what DXCC entities your are missing (again, by band, by mode).

HRD log has a feature for you to upload directly to eQsl, LoTW and Club Log. You can export an ADIF file to upload your contacts to QRZ.com. Maybe one day HRD will also add a feature to upload to QRZ directly.

HRD also has a program for many digital modes (many variations of PSK, RTTY, etc.) It is called DM780. It integrates seamlessly with the logging software. Right click on a callsign in the decode window and you can lookup the call sign from QRZ to start logging the contact. It don't think it is as good a FLdigi but the convenience of using the HRD logbook is a big plus for DM780.

The software provides many other functions too numerous to list here. You can find it here http://www.ham-radio-deluxe.com/index.html

The software is free to use for 30 days (all the functions work). It cost $99 to buy and includes updates and telephone support for one year. After that updates and support will cost $49 per year. Updates are not required to keep using the software as is. You just don't get new features they may add in the future.

HRD has many other features too numerous to mention here.

You should also take a look at DXlab suite of software. A little more complicated to set up and operate but it also has the features you looking for. Best of all it is free. Find it here DXLab

Of course this is only my opinion. Try a few and see what works for you.

If you are running Linux you can use CQRlog which is a Ham Radio Deluxe clone and is free. I use it and sync it will LOTW and Eqsl. Some guys still pen and paper...

Congratulations on your upgrade! I am pretty much in the same boat as you. The Zed is cool, but doesn't get you any awards. And a lot of foreign guys aren't members. I have trouble getting people to confirm the QSO. I haven't found any software that loads to QRZ.COM. ..and don't think any exist. Currently l am using LOG4OM (it is free) and I like it a lot. Same deal as HRD with logging automatically to eqsl and lotw, and you can run your rig to it. Unless I am on one of my old rigs, anywa
The free version of HRD is still available and is bug free.

Brett

I'm in a similar situation. DXKeeper is part of the DXLab suite and may have some advantages for you. It can be a stand-alone log or be combined with other DXLab programs. It monitors awards from several providors and uploads to eQSL and LoTW. The guy that writes it is active on QRZ and I think I remember reading that he's working on uploads to the zed too. Anyway, might be worth a look.

Fortunately, export and import options mean I can test out a few different programs. I tried out Winlog32, but I couldn't figure out how to navigate around it, and if simply moving around it is that non-user-friendly, then I dismissed it right away.

Currently I'm using N3FJPs Amateur Contact Log... It's free for like 45 days or something like that, and is only $25 to buy it. Navigation is pretty straightforward. It's nothing special graphically, but callsign queries and logging is dirt simple and can be done without the mouse at all. It interfaces with eQSL and LotW directly, and exports ADIF so I can upload to QRZ. It does have a number of little bugs that kinda annoy me, but I'm going to give it a fair shot. I figure, if nothing else, I'll try it for 30-45 days and if I don't like it, I'll export the data and try a new program.

Also, while using ACL, I'll learn what features I really want in the real world rather than my ideal list that I have above... This is a real world use to figure out what features are really important to me. *shrug*

I know a lot of people use HRD, but to pay $100 for a piece of software that is only supported for a year? Seems a bit on the expensive side to me.

I am still open to suggestions. I plan to check out all of the programs that are suggested here, and expect that I will probably try out all of them before I figure out which one I want to keep permanently...

Thank you all!

-Eric

You know what would be REALLY nice. A video of the actual program in use. Seeing it interact with other programs... Maybe even narrated. A recording of an actual QSO, and the initial call lookup, then filling in the info, and completing the log entry. Then adding a second QSO, looking up the callsign, etc, etc. Then when it's done, showing how it syncs with eQSL and/or LotW.

Maybe even throw in a PSK demo of how the logging program interacts with popular digital software, like fldigi, etc. Screenshots are fine, but it'd be so much nicer to see the actual interaction with the program, ya know?

Fortunately, export and import options mean I can test out a few different programs. I tried out Winlog32, but I couldn't figure out how to navigate around it, and if simply moving around it is that non-user-friendly, then I dismissed it right away.

Currently I'm using N3FJPs Amateur Contact Log... It's free for like 45 days or something like that, and is only $25 to buy it. Navigation is pretty straightforward. It's nothing special graphically, but callsign queries and logging is dirt simple and can be done without the mouse at all. It interfaces with eQSL and LotW directly, and exports ADIF so I can upload to QRZ. It does have a number of little bugs that kinda annoy me, but I'm going to give it a fair shot. I figure, if nothing else, I'll try it for 30-45 days and if I don't like it, I'll export the data and try a new program.

Also, while using ACL, I'll learn what features I really want in the real world rather than my ideal list that I have above... This is a real world use to figure out what features are really important to me. *shrug*

I know a lot of people use HRD, but to pay $100 for a piece of software that is only supported for a year? Seems a bit on the expensive side to me.

I am still open to suggestions. I plan to check out all of the programs that are suggested here, and expect that I will probably try out all of them before I figure out which one I want to keep permanently...

Thank you all!

-Eric

I have a copy of the free versions of HRD if you want it. I use version 5.somethingorother and it does everything you need from logging to digital modes to uploading to electronic QSL sites.
PM me and I can send you a copy of the setup for HRD.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.