• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Family radio comm idea

KF5FUR

Mar 28, 2010
Republic of Texas
I am looking for a radio system that me and my family can use to communicate over about 25 mile radius of our house. I can't seem to find a definite answer on this, as some radios need custom programming and use repeaters for private company use. Can I use something like this? I want mobiles in both cars, and a base here at the house, and hand-helds for out of car use. Price isn't really the issue, its what I can use legally. I am a Ham but I don't want to make my wife get her license, she is not mechanically, nor electronically inclined at all. Also I don't want to clutter up the ham waves with talk of horrid diaper changes and what my wife did on her day out, :p. Although I know with proper operating procedures its OK on the Ham bands, but no thanks. A radio system like this would beat the heck outta cell phones for me. When I worked for a lumber yard years ago, I tried to buy some (either 800MHz or 900MHz) Motorola business radios and wanted to get them reprogrammed for my use but the boss wouldn't let them go. Anyone got any ideas?

- Bill

I have read the Wikipedia page about GMRS, but I do know of a place that mainly utilizes Motorola systems that do local police, fire, and business radio systems. I am mainly interested in the private business type radio system, much like the encoded channel on standard walkies for private frequencies. But I wonder if that would be allowed, I assume there would be monthly fees for the service because they all use repeaters. Mainly I wonder if I would be required to actually have a business and business license for it. Also 50W seems perfect for power, since the 2 meter radio I used to have could throw a signal to a repeater about 15 miles away on only 5-10 watts, I was even able to reach about 25 miles away on 50 watts. So I assume 50 watts in the upper UHF band would be quite adequate.

Thanks -Bill

How about something like Nextel or Southernlinc?

Check out your local radio shops for repeater information. They should also be able to give you information in regards to licensing frequencies. Two local shops where I live had had their own (licensed) frequencies and would allow some one to use them for a fee. About 10+ years ago one shop quoted me $14 per month, per radio on their frequency(ies). I'm sure they have gone up since then. :) FYI I was attempting to start a business at the time.
As for getting licensed for your own frequency I don't know for sure. However I fairly recently tried researching it again and if I read it correctly you may need a EIN on file with the IRS (which is easy to get or was for me 10 + years ago). BTW if you try that route you'll have to go through a frequency coordinator (which costs money) and then you still pay the FCC.

You could probably get a business license and use something in the VHF business band. Just create a home based business of some type (make one up), get a business license and then apply to the FCC under that name. I know of several local business that use radio as a means for communications; I don't see why the FCC wouldn't let you do the same thing if you're willing to pay them for it.

You could probably get a business license and use something in the VHF business band. Just create a home based business of some type (make one up), get a business license and then apply to the FCC under that name. I know of several local business that use radio as a means for communications; I don't see why the FCC wouldn't let you do the same thing if you're willing to pay them for it.

That's what 99% of farmers in this country do.

File as a Medical Marijuana Farming business and it should fly right through, just kidding but farmers as well as many local delivery services do the same thing.

frs

Use frs chnl 151.82/151.88 , just take your 2 meter xcvr and expand for mars/cap and it will cover those frequencies, and reach out 25 miles...
GMRS wont cut it for that distance<we tried>, like 440 simplex.....
DOCTOR/795

MURS

Yep I meant MURS, by the way you will need a beam also<2 mtr>, and you can use a 2 mtr mag mount on the vehicle..
DOCTOR/795

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.