• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Feed point position 5/8 vert

davev8

Gold Star/Marvin Award Member
Apr 26, 2011
east cost lincolnshire England
I had i thought when looking at a youtube vid (link below)
What i am about to explain will look more obvious if you look at the vid
When you have a 5/8th(or any length)with ground radials which are a set/tuned length for the frequency of the antenna.. and the so239 socket mounted to one side, and i am assuming the ground plane / counterpose starts at the socket.
So will that mean that the ground radial mounted opposite the feed point appears say 2inch longer to the RF than the radial that the feed point is mounted next to???????
So will it be a good idea when building a antenna not to measure the length of the radial but the distance the from the feed point to the tip of the radial
One way round this is to design the antenna like the Avanti sigma 2 and have the feed point up the center of the tubing
What are your thoughts on this
vid link ZEROFIVE-ANTENNAS COLOSSAL 10K 5/8 WAVE ANTENNA 10/11 METERS - YouTube

I had i thought when looking at a youtube vid (link below)
What i am about to explain will look more obvious if you look at the vid
When you have a 5/8th(or any length)with ground radials which are a set/tuned length for the frequency of the antenna.. and the so239 socket mounted to one side, and i am assuming the ground plane / counterpose starts at the socket.
So will that mean that the ground radial mounted opposite the feed point appears say 2inch longer to the RF than the radial that the feed point is mounted next to???????
So will it be a good idea when building a antenna not to measure the length of the radial but the distance the from the feed point to the tip of the radial
One way round this is to design the antenna like the Avanti sigma 2 and have the feed point up the center of the tubing
What are your thoughts on this
vid link ZEROFIVE-ANTENNAS COLOSSAL 10K 5/8 WAVE ANTENNA 10/11 METERS - YouTube

My sense is that the difference in the lack of symmetry you describe is probably meaningless to the use of our radios, but it is likely measurable using high tech equipment. Since we have a tuning function however, I would guess most of the problem is mitigated via a little added loss.

I have an I-10K, and it has the radials set off-center to the antenna, and that too shows asymmetry in the antenna, but I can't detect it. The antenna in the video handles this problem nicely and it may have an advantage in results. As a matter of fact, I have modeled my I-10K, without this asymmetry issue, because it was just convient. During the process of measuring every part to get it to specs, I found several cutting errors, and two of their install errors in the radial area. That too will cause some additional asymmetry.

IMO, a perfect physical antenna is not likely, and neither is this true electrically either. I don't loose any sleep over it however. See my comment in my signature below.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.