• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Figured i would stop in and say hi, since i signed up

-Devil-

KD5ZJU
Dec 9, 2009
North Louisiana
been reading the forum for the past few weeks. finally decided to sign up.

i have had my ham lisc for a while now (close to 7 years i beleive) ... but i only have about 3 to 4 hours of actual talk time ... (long story) ... sold what equipment i had (just 2m) before moving to Louisiana. and have started to get interested in it again now that we are settled into a house finally ...

but, all i have left is one of the china import 2m radios (wouxun) that someone in town gave me, which has a bad battery / charger ...

figured i could start posting and talking on here while saving up and deciding on what i will purchase for home ... hah that is under 700 hopefully ... as i do beleive the wife would kill me if she found out i spent that much on a radio ...

well either way .. hiya from North Louisiana ...

Welcome to the site! :) :) I bet that your charger is OK and it's just the batteries that have died. Check out this site for replacement batteries for that radio: Radiogearpro.com

New batteries for those radios are pretty cheap and will be an easy way to get you back on the air! Or, if you decide that you want to unload them, I'm sure that someone would buy them if you listed them in the Forum Swap Shop section. At any rate, have fun on the site, feel free to keep us up to date on what you're doing with the radio hobby (a lot of us enjoy reading that stuff) and have fun!

Greetings !! and welcome to the board !! I notice that you hold a tech class ticket

If you are looking to spend around $700 for a radio and are wanting to stay with just VHF all the major makers have nice 2 meter rigs that start at about $150 for a radio out of the box with all the bells and whistles needed to get ya up and talking..and they do go way up from there.

I run an Icom IC-2200 H ,tough 2 meter rig,easy to program and under $ 200 new.... 65 watts output on high power,200 memory channels.Great rig to get started on and for the seasoned operator as well.I see alot of these radios in use around my area

If you are looking for something that will cover all bands,take a hard look at a Icom 706 used,that rig covers everything from daylight to DC so to say or 160 meters to 2 meter and the newer ones will cover 440 as well.I have seen these rigs for around $500 + / - to $650 + /- used in very good shape..and these radios can be modded for 11 meter(ie...freeband/cb) use without to much trouble

Cant forget about your power supply(most all ham radios are 12 volt these days) ,antenna , coax ,antenna mast....

But for what money you are wanting to spend,getting on the air will be easy :D

Just weigh your options out and you will be gabbing away in no time !!

...note...It is 6 AM and I just got up.... and the two radios mentioned above are what came to mind first,so dont forget about Yeasu,Kenwood and Alinco...these guys all make good solid radios that will live a long time ;)

Welcome to the forum and I agree I am also thinking the battery is shot when thjey go bad they can go bad quick sometimes as I have found out they can do it without warning!!

thanks for the welcome =) as for the little wouxun. the charger is bad for sure .. has a blown transistor on the board ... (not sure if it is npn or pnp though or i would have already replaced it) ... the person that gave it to me plugged it into the wrong a/c power supply and it popped ...

been thinking about getting one of the AA adapters for it and just doing that to get it on the air for now ...

as for the other radio ... i am debating between just 2m and 440 .. or going ahead and picking up one that does more and upgrade my license. one i have looked at on and off for the past few weeks besides the 706 is the Yaesu ft 897d

The 897 is a very nice radio,I know of a few folks in my area that uses it and they like the rig over all.I do know they start around $900 new and go up to around 1200 to 1300 with all the add ons

Someone here done a evaluation on that radio a while back and posted it somewhere on this site.I am sure that someone can post a link to that thread

price wise it will prob be the 706 ... but still reading up between the two and trying to figure out if there is a reason to go with one over the other since it is just going to be used as a base station ...

Good deal !! A handheld is always nice to have around.

The 706 has a small fold out bar that will raise the front of the radio a bit for base use.Even if it doesnt have that fold out bar try using a pair of L brackets (ie. small shelf brackets say 3 inches long on each side of bracket) to mount radio to the desk.

That is how I have my 2 meter radio mounted for home use,even got the screws to hold radio to the brackets from Lowes

finally got confirmation of the shipping for my battery and such ...

also think i have decided on an IC-208H for my mobile install. may change that later on though when i upgrade my lisc. or just stick with 2m and 440 for mobile and the other bands for base .. (the 706 is looking better and better)

right now still waiting on radiogearpro to hurry up .... placed order about a week ago and the site still shows it as in progress...

has been taking about two weeks to get anything from them, hong kong shipping has gotten slower lately for some reason

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.