• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FINALLY DECIDED ON A NEW RIG!!!

Well as soon as i get it all setup i will take many pics for sure...dont think i can swing the Alpha right now, thats going to have to come next christmas or mid life crisses..witch ever comes first!!i will probably just stick a Heathkit SB220 behind it untill then. Yeah the Heils can sound really good if set up correctly!!

Just curious Why an Alpha? Having used many amps including several Alphas I find they do one thing in particular, put out more power.

Now that the basic issue is simply a power increase, lets add one other factor into the mix and perhaps you or someone else can enlighten me as to why the $8,000.00 Alpha is so much better than say a Henry 2k-4 that puts out the same legal limit power and allows key down periods well beyond what any sane operator would expect to be transmitting.

Given the power output limit is 1,500 watts and the maximum key down times is say less than 5 minutes and usually much less with turn around being about say minimum 1 minute, how do you justify spending $8,000.00 for something a good working amp of the Henry line will do that as well and has been doing it for almost 50 years make it past the decision process?

To me, spending the money should it be the only viable option would make a reasonable case to pay that for the Alpha. The question the becomes what is your antenna set up consisting of? To me $1,200 to $1,500.00 for a Henry in good working order, with $6,500.00 to $6,800.00 left over for Antenna system makes more sense.

Now if you must have the NAME I can understand, I just don't see why investing in a better antenna setup along with a comparable amp an output for the same outlay of cash is disregarded. Side by sie the signal strength would be the same, but you would have tower, antenna, plus everything else for the same price as the Alpha alone. Using the Alpha after laying out the additional cost of the same antenna system basically won't gain you anything. The only difference is the amp name badge and a lot more money going out that could be used for a second rig or other choice equipment.

Please understand I am seriously trying to find out why someone would spend 5 times the money for the same output after all you can legally only run max 1500 watts an both amps will o that easily, as well as you get the same key down time and both are built well with the Henry having the edge of being proven as rock solid and built like a tank, whereas the Alpha is a known quantity with a return rate that most folks really don't want to look at. Both units can be desk top so that is not a issue.

So what do you gain?

I have yet to hear someone running an Alpha being received differently than someone running a similar system with another amp of the same power being able to discern a difference in audio quality. so again, what do you gain?

I offer the Henry as a known quantity but there are other which could be inserted as well.

I would really like to hear of a valid reason of shelling out 5 times the amount for an amp that break own rate is what it is and doesn't do anything more once it is tuned but amplify the input power of the signal fed into it being worth the expense it calls for to have one. I certainly don't believe the Alpha name is any better longevity wise than Henry and again having used several in my 30 years of Ham Radio am waiting for something that is the actual reason to buy an Alpha over something else.

A bare foot rig with a great antenna system can often do the same if not better than someone with a mediocre antenna and a legal limit amp. I prove that everyday running a home brew vertical and 10 watts from a battery powered rig. I also have a pretty extensive antenna set up along with legal limit power should I want to use it.

So, please tell me and the other readers here the determining factor of why an Alpha @ $8,000.00 is worth buying instead of buying a another amp brand of excellent quality and along with a good to great antenna set up is justified.

Once the amp is tuned and in use it is just a device to increase power so all of them (legal limit amps is what I refer to) do that and cost a lot less to boot.
Scott
KG6ABF

... bragging rights.

Bragging rights for sure.

If you cant hear them you cant work them.

Thought the whole idea of amateur radio was to make some contacts and enjoy the hobby? Any TECH should know the most important part of the station is the antenna.

Why have a $5000 rig if the antenna system is deaf as a door?

Unless of course you just like to look at the radio and play with all the bells and whistles.

Reactions: 3 people
A good antenna is a must. As was said you can pay $5000 for a neat looking radio, but if it's deaf, you're only going to sit there and play with knobs and entertain yourself.

I have a new Yaesu FT 2000D the 200 Watt model with matching speaker and desk mic, into an Ameritron AL 811H into a Cobra Ultralite Sr antenna that covers 160 -10 meters, includes 6 meters as well with tuner. And I love it...

I had an IC 7000 brand new, and after about a year of trying to get it to sound good , I gave up and sold it. I like the Audio on this Yaesu better it's more robust on transmit and you can taylore the EQ of your mic in the menu about 20 different ways to your liking. The IC 7700 is better than the 7000 was by far in my opinion.

A good antenna is a must. As was said you can pay $5000 for a neat looking radio, but if it's deaf, you're only going to sit there and play with knobs and entertain yourself.

I have a new Yaesu FT 2000D the 200 Watt model with matching speaker and desk mic, into an Ameritron AL 811H into a Cobra Ultralite Sr antenna that covers 160 -10 meters, includes 6 meters as well with tuner. And I love it...

I had an IC 7000 brand new, and after about a year of trying to get it to sound good , I gave up and sold it. I like the Audio on this Yaesu better it's more robust on transmit and you can taylore the EQ of your mic in the menu about 20 different ways to your liking. The IC 7700 is better than the 7000 was by far in my opinion.

My opinion of the Kenwood TS 2000 is that it is a overglorified CB radio.
A whole lot to go wrong in one little box.
The people that buys it is enamored by the fact that you can work most all bands with one box. When it breaks - you end up loosing everything - at least until it comes back from the repair center.

The IC 7000 is a mobile, can be improved a little with the help of some filtering, but is not a good first radio or a good HF radio for in the shack.

The Yaesu FT 2000 is a capable radio, usually used to drive a high drive amplifier - hence is the only reason why you would need a radio that produces 200 watts..

The MP 1000 Mark IV was a much better radio then the 2000....

I have several amplifiers here in the shack, but I don't use them because they interfere with the computers.
I have to agree with all that there is more gains to be had by using an efficient antenna and no antenna tuner or amplifier then hooking a good radio up to a crappy antenna and then trying to amplify the crap out of it so people can hear you.

I hear these lids all the time on their G5RV's that talks on 40 meters, they must be deaf as a doorknob because they are 20/9 - but can't hear my S9 signal...

The IC 7600 / 7700 is nothing more then a overglorified CB radio..
Lots of bright LED's to impress the user and not a lot of performance for the price. The only reason why they are so highly regarded and revered is because they are so expensive and because I C O M lends them out for free for some important DXpedition.

The Kenwood TS 990 is a very capable radio with very good performance and probably too many options for most people to comprehend.
The Kenwood TS 590 is the little brother of the 990 - does not have dual receive or the 200 watts, but has an excellent front end and very good audio - even with the stock mic. Not a lot of need for a mixer board or expensive mic to sound good unless you do not have a radio voice to start with.

Bragging rights for sure.

If you cant hear them you cant work them.

Thought the whole idea of amateur radio was to make some contacts and enjoy the hobby? Any TECH should know the most important part of the station is the antenna.

Why have a $5000 rig if the antenna system is deaf as a door?

Unless of course you just like to look at the radio and play with all the bells and whistles.
So true!

I hear these lids all the time on their G5RV's that talks on 40 meters, they must be deaf as a doorknob because they are 20/9 - but can't hear my S9 signal...
Most of those "lids" on 40 probably do hear you just fine but since they don't know you wont come back, I find 40 meters to be very clicky, 20 can be as well but 40 seems the worst.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.