• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

First radio.

W5LZ

Crotchety Old Bastard
Apr 8, 2005
Oklahoma
This is a personal thing so doesn't apply to everyone. Just something I've learned about me from experience, take it for what it's worth.

A hand-held radio isn't exactly the smartest thing to have as a first radio, sort of. They are very limiting, very seldom have really usable features for most people, and do require additional equipment to be used in more than an occasional manner.
Probably the first thing a new handy-talky user will need to do is get a better antenna than that 'rubber-duck'. Then a charger. Then maybe an amplifier. Of course, if you happen to have a 'for real' radio in the house, you either already have the antenna (except for the appropriate connector), and why bother about the amplifier etc?

I don't know about you, but unless I have some particular need for being aware of what's happening on a particular freq/repeater, why would I even want to carry one'a the little thingys? Some people have such a need and that's fine. The typical 'new-user' very seldom does though.

There are some really 'nifty' hand-helds on the market now! They'll do almost everything a 'real-live' radio will do! I guess age has something to do with it. As in, H#$$, I can't even see the buttons, much less remember how to make it do stuff! Small is good, but only to some arbitrary point, and my 'points' tend to be larger than other people's 'points'.

So think about it before you buy. If that 'filthy lucre' is relly burning a hole in your pocket, send it to me. I promise I'll spend it on something you'll think it totally worthless, and will just enjoy the H#$$ out of it! What might that be? This is where I have to introduce you to an old Indian word (I live in Oklahoma, you know). That word is "nun-ya", typically followed by another Indian word, "bid-nez"...
- 'Doc
:)

It's not just the new hams Doc. I've been one for about 20 years or so and I still feel the same way. My first radio was an Alinco DJ-160 2m HT. I went through exactly what you described with the antennas, amplifier etc. ............................... Oooops I lied.....................My VERY first radio was a Heath DX60B tx with matching HR-10 rx and HG-10 vfo but I actually got that before I actually had my ticket.

When the Alinco died in an automobile accident the insurance company was nice enough to buy me a new Kenwood TH-G71A with speaker mike and spare battery. I used it a little bit,very little bit.I used the Icom IC-2000H mobile a lot more. Now I don't bother with 2m stuff at all. I find people get into ham radio for the HF and when they start out with a code free ticket and jump into an HT they seem to either get bored or frustrated and tend to give up before they really get started. A shame really. In the end HT's are great if you NEED to communicate locally on the go but how many of us REALLY need that beyond what a mobile radio or cell phone can provide. Now HF mobiling is another matter altogether.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.