• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Flea market finds

sportygreg

Nov 30, 2006
Dunedin,Fl
I bought 2 radios at the flea today-one is a little Cobra 19DX I got for $5.00 that I will put in the wife's car [I use a 29LTD in my truck].The other was a NEW in the box SBE Tahoe vintage 40 channel that I paid $15.00 for.The SBE was never unpacked and is absolutely mint.I can't find much info on this radio-is it a keeper or should I just sell it on Fleabay? It is a CB49 model.

theres a nib tahoe on ebay ()yours?

30 plus 15 shipping. they are nothing special. personally 15 is to much

I did put it on Ebay-if my price is not met I will keep it for myself. How often can you find a NEW 30 year old radio? It was never even taken out of the box!

Carl said:
theres a nib tahoe on ebay ()yours?

30 plus 15 shipping. they are nothing special. personally 15 is to much
........So what would would the price be if it were yours? He sounds like he's happy with what he has.....he shared his find with us....so it's obivious that it's special to him. sportygreg, you made a good find, and overdrive is correct, they were real talkers, and the ones that still survive in pristine condition......still are. I'd keep it. 73s, Pluto.

$20 free 2-3 day shipping if it were me.

old radios are to much of a gamble, caps dry out, conncetions begin to corrode, compounds dry.

perhaps if it were a more widly known brand but linear systems (sbe) went out of buisness long ago

nice find Greg , I hear that dried out cap stuff to often , IM a cb radio person , I especially love the old 40 channels ! I've had dozens on top of dozen of them both AM/SSB , even a hand full of mint in the box 25 to 30 year olds , usually around 1976 when they started making them for 1977 , reason why I mention the dried out cap syndrome is that I honestly never had any problems that my personal knowledge led me to believe there were any problems with most of them that I knew of. I see these old Cobra's from the 70s and early 90s in the box mint and I feel the love !! I've ran an 81 Cobra in my car now for 3 or 4 years , no problems what so ever ! IM also a fan of the older cybernet boarded Midland tanks , most are 30 years old now and I would bet to say they will be around for 20 more years. Id' still rather have a few radios from yesterdays then many of the ones around today. I just missed this one the other day , Damn it ! First run 1979 Cobra 21 GTL .....
62da_1.JPG

Carl said:
$20 free 2-3 day shipping if it were me.

old radios are to much of a gamble, caps dry out, conncetions begin to corrode, compounds dry.

perhaps if it were a more widly known brand but linear systems (sbe) went out of buisness long ago
.......I understand what you're saying, but I agree with Switch Kit, I've ran and still run (Yaesu 101EE) 25+ year old radios with no problem. Electrolytic caps can dry up after ~20 years of age.....but some do not. Yes SBE went out of bussiness along time ago along with many others, like: Tram, Kraco, Stoner, Lake, Browning, Siltronix, ect. That dosen't make them bad radios by no means. In my opinion the older radios were built better. The new radios have only more modern technology to thier advantage. Also buying a new radio can be a gamble, depending on if it was made on a Monday or Friday ;)

I have since tested the SBE and it works.I lowered my price on Ebay because I would like to see it go to a collector who would take good care of it.I've had many old radios over the years and the majority of them worked fine but you always take a chance with vintage electronics.I enjoy finding old radios at flea markets and yard sales but they seem to be getting scarce these days.The oldest cb I ever had was a Courier 23 channel tube job with a Chrome case and it was a beauty!

that dried cap thing is still getting my brains attention , were did the radio come from in the first place ? did it come from a dry climate or a wet one ? was it kept in a garage on a shelf for 20 years ? was it put away nicely in a box or air tight bag ? I've just had to many that were over 20 years old that had no problems what so ever , but then again , IM no cap / resistor / radio / amp / antenna / expert to begin with. Believe it or not , CB radio and Disco went hand and hand , BJ and the Bear and Smokey and the Bandit and donna summer ect.ect. ect. the fad really didn't last that long , they baught them and used them for a while and then they went back into there boxes and what not. Ebay and other places is a very good sign of this, can't count how many mint in the boxes 148s from 1979 I've seen or only used for a short time and reboxed there after !! Dried caps huh !! I'd personally be willing to put up the 100.00 shipped for it if I had it. yeap , I really don't understand the building process of these older radios but they sure seem like they were solid and built well for there time and I've used to many of them over the years and they have yet to prove me wrong.

Switch, electrolytic capacitors usually have oil in them and over time ~20 years or so (although not carved in stone) the oil can, and sometimes do, dry up mostly due to leakage and/or heat. One good indicator is when the cap "bulges" on one or both ends. But I've seen some 25+ years old that are fine....even on the capacitance checker.

The simple fact is things were made to last in days of yore-unlike today's "disposable" society.How many people bother to repair an electronic device these days instead of throwing it away and buying a new one? If you can even find someone to repair your radio it may cost more than buying another one!I remember when there used to be a lot of TV and radio repair shops-now it is difficult to find one. Some techs are charging $50.00 an hour so unless you have an expensive rig or just can't part with it you are better off shopping for a replacement.I don't begrudge a technician getting paid for his work but if I can't fix it myself it doesn't get fixed!

The 2 best finds were at yard sales. A New Old Stock Cobra 2000 GTL.......never opened. They wanted $50 but being the honest guy I am gave them $200.
Next a mobile Colt 485 Black Shadow for $25. They said it was used a couple of years but when I got it home the thing was NEVER OPENED.
Those were the finds that one dreams about. :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.