• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

fluxuating power issue

The Mad Scientist

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 24, 2012
Northeast Pa
Hi all,

I wanted to run this by everyone to get a better opinion of what may be going on here.

I have a Kenwood tm-v71a running into a Diamond sx-400 then to a commet 790a. The meter is inline full time. The swr was always 1:3:1 and it read the correct power specs on vhf/uhf. Then something strange started to happen. The power readings started to fluxuate and the swr was staying the same. I was normally getting on VHF 50 high power/ 13 med/and a little over 5 on low. UHF was 48 high/13 med/and 5 on low.

What I am seeing now is...VHF 38 high/ 8 med/ and a little over 3 on low....UHF 35 high/ 8 med/ and a little over 3 on low.

This issue seemed to come and go at first and then decided to stick around.

So Investagated the power feed which is streight to the battery and is fine. I checked the coax and mount via a 50 ohm cantenna dummy load with a three foot jumper right off the antenna mount. It showed a swr of 1:2:1 which it shouldn't. So I started thinking it was the feedline and or mount and decided to check it right from the meter into the dummy load and I got an swr of 2:0:1with higher power readings on med and low on both bands which shouldn't be either. I am wondering if it could be the meter that is having this issue? I did check the dummy load and I measured it at 50.6 ohms. All of these items were new when installed and worked perfectly untill now. The coax is lmr-200 ultraflex.

At the moment I do not have another meter to cross refernece my power readings I am getting on the Diamond sx-400. I am currently working on this.

Opinions?

Thanks in advance,
73's
Eric

If it were me, I think I would see if I could borrow another meter, that would eliminate one possibility. From there, It would be a matter of 'opening the hood' of that '71A and looking for obvious 'faults'. Do the easiest checking first, then the harder stuff.
- 'Doc

Don't trust that Cantenna to present a good 50 ohn match on 2m or 70cm. Too much capacitive reactance. What ylu measure with an ohmeter is the DC resistance. Whst the VHF and UHF RF sees is another thing. You need a GOOD dummy load for up there.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.