• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FM RADIO stations on my CB?

2Eight0

Jul 4, 2012
OK as long as I have been doing CB radio I have never experienced this. This rainy morning at 5am I was driving to work. The radio is always quiet but out of habit I turn it on and turn on my preamp and scan the bands looking for skip. Even though it isnt crazy skip conditions sometimes I find something its early and quiet.
This morning I turn it on and my receive is full of bleed over. Jarbled mess from 3 to 20 S units sounded like typical bleed over. I searched Low and High but could never get a clear signal. Down in the lower 26's It cleared up enough for me to hear the call sign for a local FM country station. I was like wtf! Ive never heard this before but I tuned to the channel on the Car stereo and sure enough I was picking up the radio station.
Why?
A little info:
I run a galaxy DX88HL
texas star modulator plus
driving a texas star 250

funny it seemed the modulartor preamp was the one picking up all this mess but not the 250....
Im curious to why this was happening? :pop:

Some older established radio stations still use an STL system in the low end of 26 MHz. STL stands for studio-transmitter link. They send the program audio to the transmitter site over a radio link. There are still a few 26 MHz STL systems in use. Was it in FM mode BTW? It should have been. I doubt that the preamp was being overloaded enough to reproduce the actual FM broadcast frequency down on 26 MHz. It could happen but the STL theory is still my bet.

BTW what was the station callsign? I may be able to look up their STL frequency to confirm my theory.

Nope just plain old AM. Im 40 miles away from the stinkin tower! I actually couldn't hear it on FM mode. But AM Bled from 25-28 mhz.. Weird is all I can say.

guess thats their 4.3kw pointed in my direction!

i had a galaxy amp do the same thing when the pre amp was turned on. most time it was worse in the morning time but was in there. wqyk here in tampa. just kept preamp off and it was ok. was told it was harmonics caused from coax lengths and the dirty nature of the amp. just a few thoughts 73s midnight special

I can't find any STL info for WBEY. Preamps can overload fairly easily and cause all sorts of stations to appear that are not really on those frequencies. There is no way the actual 97.9 freq is causing the overload, not 1.4 Kw at 40 miles. Something else nearby is causing the preamp to overload and produce splatter and by some weird coincidence it is allowing you to hear the station.I used to listen to a station near Ocala Fla. on the high 25-low 26 MHz range and another near Chicago. Telltale signs of overload are if the interference is strong with the preamp on and nonexistent with it off.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.