• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Forensic Files CB Radio Pipe Bomb

Mudfoot

Elmer
Jun 17, 2009
Southeast Ohio
Just caught the tail end of a Forensic Files TV show. Christopher Dean of Indiana, bought a $400 CB over the interweb. Some 17 year old kid sent him a different radio that was junky. Mr Dean didn't like it, got mad and mailed a pipe bomb that killed the kid and badly injured his mom.

I think the CB Shack was in Vermont. This was on live TV, so I can't re-watch. Anyone remember this?

I know a couple Ebay sellers that are lucky he didn't order one of their BNIB, MINT CB's. Lol.

Last edited:

Although the outcome for this young man ripping people off was very extreme, had he not been involved in criminal activity, and evidently not an isolated incident, negative out come is a consideration he was too young to understand evidently.

I certainly don't condone any of this type of activity from either party as most of us don't. The young man's life was taken when it should not have. There's no excuse for taking another's life except in self defense in fear of ones own life.

Having been ripped of myself many times, having a trusting nature, I have a certain amount understanding. Both were wrong, and both unfortunately lost their lives. One immediate, and the other will have to think about it behind bars for the rest of his life.

It's a sad commentary on the way this country is heading.

In the beginning of the show they state that Fair View, VT had little to no crime, but if you look up Crime Grade now, the small town has a D rating on overall crime. Seems a lot of small towns nationwide that were considered safe to live have gone the other way over the past few years.

There's no excuse for taking another's life except in self defense in fear of ones own life.
If an intruder came in my home at night with no intention to harm me, but every intenion to take everything I spent my life working for, my family's livelihood is at equal risk. It is considered acceptable in many places to shoot home intruders, but now, as long as they only take a little from each person, it becomes ok? Steal a penny or steal a horse, once upon a time they were equal sins,

When the consequences of doing wrong are well defined in law and tolerated without discomfort (like petty theft is), there is no deterrent to such crime. I don't believe anyone should get killed for petty theft, but the fact it does happen is the ONLY reason it is not more common. You never know what someone is capable of, and thats the only thing that makes less-desirable people respect others.

If an intruder came in my home at night with no intention to harm me, but every intenion to take everything I spent my life working for, my family's livelihood is at equal risk. It is considered acceptable in many places to shoot home intruders, but now, as long as they only take a little from each person, it becomes ok? Steal a penny or steal a horse, once upon a time they were equal sins,

When the consequences of doing wrong are well defined in law and tolerated without discomfort (like petty theft is), there is no deterrent to such crime. I don't believe anyone should get killed for petty theft, but the fact it does happen is the ONLY reason it is not more common. You never know what someone is capable of, and thats the only thing that makes less-desirable people respect others.
Not in Texas! They don't get away with it here. Even then they're ballsy though, just a couple of weeks back a guy here in amarillo decided to kick in the back door of a home to steal. The homeowner woke up, headed towards the sound and blew a hole in the guy and he didn'tsurvive. No criminal charges, the homeowners right to protect their property. It of course has to be justified by the law.

Not in Texas! They don't get away with it here. Even then they're ballsy though, just a couple of weeks back a guy here in amarillo decided to kick in the back door of a home to steal. The homeowner woke up, headed towards the sound and blew a hole in the guy and he didn'tsurvive. No criminal charges, the homeowners right to protect their property. It of course has to be justified by the law.
Revenge is No reason for violence. This is a very unfortunate and sad situation.
Although we live in a nice neighborhood and we know all of our neighbors, we practice our "due diligence" when it comes to keeping unwelcome people out of our home. And hopefully, this is All we'll have to do.. due diligence!

If for some reason, someone manages to get through, past, over or under the barriers, all I can say is, Shame on You!

With that said, this is the Last Thing I ever want to happen. Hence the "barriers". So, please don't test me.

And yes, Eldorado828 is correct. It's not often you see any charges filed in this type of situation.

Last edited:
Revenge is No reason for violence. This is a very unfortunate and sad situation.
Although we live in a nice neighborhood and we know all of our neighbors, we practice our "due diligence" when it comes to keeping unwelcome people out of our home. And hopefully, this is All we'll have to do.. due diligence!

If for some reason, someone manages to get through, past, over or under the barriers, all I can say is, Shame on You!

With that said, this is the Last Thing I ever want to happen. Hence the "barriers". So, please don't test me.

And yes, Eldorado828 is correct. It's not often you see any charges filed in this type of situation.
I'm by no means for violence in any way either. It's sad these things happen.

Unfortunately for those involved in the thread topic, one learned a lesson he'll live with the rest of his days and the other didn't live to learn his completely. There's no winner in it.

Reactions: Brother DXer
Just an FYI, any forum thread mentioning "pipe bombs" immediatelty wakes up government employees with the ding of a microwave oven containing a freshly-cooked meatball-marinara Hot Pocket. :ROFLMAO: Yea, I started drinking and ended up in joke mode, but I do feel bad for the kid and his mom... The mom more than anything.

I wonder if either 1 of them was on this forum or CB tricks? I must have missed it what year did they say this happened in

i remember when this happened.

There are newspaper articles out there on it or at least there used to be.

The kid was in a wheelchair if i remember correctly, and had been scamming people on ebay for quite some time before this happened.

scamming people who have your mailing address is not something i'd advise!
(well, scamming in general i guess)

LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.