• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Frequency Counter

BigMike357

Apr 2, 2020
Hello,
What would be a decent frquency counter for the work bench? I want to repair my own CB Radios.
Thanks 35 Delta 357 Big Mike In the Hillbilly state of West by God Virginia

I always liked my Fluke Philips PM6669. I should've never sold it. These days, I just have an ancient Hickok 380 that was my father's. It gets the job done, but then, any $20 freq counter will do whatever needs to be done for radio bench work.​

I think the HP5381a is a great starter frequency counter for CB radio work.
It will let you set things down to 1hz accuracy with a 1 second gate time which is very useful when aligning radios.

yes they are very old so they should have their electrolytic caps (three of them i think) replaced in the power supply section.

The big deal is to find one that is actually working. once the power supply caps are replaced there's not much that can really go wrong with it unless you misuse it.

they can be found on ebay for around 100 dollars and seem to always be available.

you'll also need to calibrate it, so you'll want something like this:

there are some specifics involved with powering this item but instructions can be found online.
LC

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio