• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FRS/GMRS radio questions

MUDDOG7375

Apr 6, 2005
OK...I dont know alot about radios so heres maybe a stupid question..

Can I use a radio like a 2950 to get to these freqs??.....

Thnaks....MUDDOG

</p>

Nope...FRS is up around 460 MHZ. The 2950 only goes up to 30 mhz (rounding it off there).

Moleculo

</p>

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>My main reason for asking was that my 4x4 club just voted to use FRS/GMRS radios instead of CBs<hr></blockquote> Might not be a bad idea. GMRS radios can be found dirt cheap, Antennas are cheap and I've seen repeaters going cheap. The license averages out to about $7.00 a year. Not too bad for a quiet com.system.

<hr />73, Mike KD5VHF@ARRL.net</p>

Muddog,

I think once you start using these radios you will change your mind. Nothing like having a nice quiet frequency to communicate on. With GMRS you are not limited to the 500 milliwatts that you are with FRS, and you can use an external antenna. Just do us all a favor and buy the license. Maybe you can get club license or something. Another service to think about is the MURS. And KD5VHF was right on, antennas are not only cheap, but very easy to make.

Have fun 4 wheelin

fasteddy

</p>

Here's a thought. Use the ones that come with CTCSS. Set all the clubs up to use a certain squelch tone, and then you will only hear when another club member is talking. Give it a shot and see how it works.

fasteddy

</p>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.