• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FT-857D- best after market mic???

K1MIZ

Jun 17, 2010
North East corner
I have been running the stock mic on my 857D for a while now. I think its time for some better quality audio. I am thinking of going w a Heil mic(non headset).

What model Heil mic has anyone used? Whats the best in your opinion?

"Best" is fairly subjective and depends a lot on your particular voice characteristics. I've used a Heil Goldline/GM5 on my 897D (basically the same radio) with good success. Another option is to use some audio processing gear like the W2IHY stuff in the audio chain.

Are you a 75 meter rag chew type of guy, or are you a DX'er, or a bit of everything? Your operating practices might dictate the type of audio quality you're looking for.

audio

I have a 857d, and use a turner plus 3 on it works like a champ, just had to buy a conversion mic cable..Yaesu to 4 pin cobra<way turner and all my mics are wired>
use it on 75 AM

DOCTOR/795

Another option is to use some audio processing gear like the W2IHY stuff in the audio chain.

I checked out his site and i have heard many say they run his equipment. I will consider something like that as an option. His prices seem to be a bit high so maybe down the road. I will start off w a good quality mic first and then take it from there.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.