• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FTM-350 audio problem

Dave - NJ4F

Retired
Aug 16, 2010
Hollywood, SC
Regarding audio, speaker volume for both left and right channels is the same coming out of the front speakers in the control head. But when I plug a speaker in the EXT SPKR jack in the main radio, I get full volume from the left channel, and only partial volume from the right channel. I have toyed with the sub mute functions (presently off), and all other related audio settings, can't fix this. The cable I am using is a mono plug.
BTW, in general, the audio was weak from the EXT SPKR jack, using a MFJ amplified speaker, works great, except for above problem.
Dave, NJ4F
nj4f@arrl.net

You need to put a stereo plug on the speaker. Edit: I corrected this. The sleeve has nothing on it, the speaker attaches to the tip and ring. http://www.tim-yvonne.com/ham/ftm-350r/index.htm

Edit: Forgot to mention, I made a short cable with a stereo male on one end and a mono female on the other so I can still use the speaker on any other radio I have.

The speaker jack is recessed so you need a smaller plug to fit right.

Steve
KC0TAG

Hope this helps.

Steve
KC0TAG

Last edited:
problem

Thanks for the tip, I was wondering about that. I will make a short adapter cable later today.
You would think the manual would address this, but I could not find anything in it.
I applied for membership in the Yahoo group last week, but haven't been approved yet, and haven't learned about pix here yet, just found the site this morning.

problem

Thanks for the link, sure explains a lot. Sure wish the manual had that info. If it did, I couldn't find it. I saw the "Y" cable, wasn't sure of it's need. I hope I didn't do any damage having the mono plug in there for a while. I think I will go to Radio Shack tomorrow and just get a adapter cable and use the "Y" cable.
Thanks again, a lot for the help.
Dave, NJ4F(y)

Thank you for sharing the link and information.

I installed a new ftm-350ar today into my pickup truck and the first thing I noticed was this problem with the audio. Had strong sound from the left VFO and nothing from the right VFO.

After researching the issue here, I went to radio shack and got a 1/8" stereo plug. Cut the old male plug of the extension wire leading to the radio. Then soldered the new plug in connecting the insulated (+) wire to the tip. Then the other wire (-) got connected to the second ring. Ultimately I made sure there was no connectivity between rings or to the ground.

Finally I plugged it in. Set the radio setting to REAR speaker only and STEREO. BINGO!!! Everything works as I would expect having one external speaker for both VFOs.

I thank you all for sharing your solutions. Now why didn't Yaesu document that issue with a solution better in their installation guide?

Hello ftm-350 owners,
I think I ran into a probem with my receiver-audio. Speaker in the mainbox is working OK and also a remote speaker, connected on tip and ring on a 3,5 mm stereo jack is working fine but there's no way I get any audio from the controlhead, no matter the settings front, back or front+back. Is this a known trick or is this just my luck?
73' Jan, PA0MID.

Hello ftm-350 owners,
I think I ran into a probem with my receiver-audio. Speaker in the mainbox is working OK and also a remote speaker, connected on tip and ring on a 3,5 mm stereo jack is working fine but there's no way I get any audio from the controlhead, no matter the settings front, back or front+back. Is this a known trick or is this just my luck?
73' Jan, PA0MID.

If you are certain that you have the settings correct, it might be a problem with the radio or cable. Try a different separation cable and see if that helps?

Hi Moleculo,
Thanks for the swift reaction! Yep, I switched cables. First I quickly messured the orignal cable and it appears to be OK. Just to be on the safe side I made one myself but even a straight UTP cable should work fine. If I set my audio to the main unit, it plays fine. If I set it to the controlhead the main unit is silent and there's absolutly no sound at all at the front. Not weak, not distorted, just nothing. At the front+back setting, only the main unit produces normal audio. I did by the way a full reset of the unit.
73' Jan, PA0MID

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.