• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FTM350r vs FTM350AR vs TMD710A vs Handheld

kf4mnc

Jan 2, 2011
OK, so I joined this site a week or so ago and have been reading basically every post for the past couple years, so I wanted to thank everyone in advance for the wealth of knowledge. During my reading I was unable to find the answer to the following question(s):

A little background first - I purchased a Kenwood TH-D72 mid-December to replace my aging VX-5r. I love the Kenwood, and have started to really get into APRS. (So much that I set up an igate, for my area.) I found that when I am at home the scanner I used to make my igate along with other internet sites suites my listening habits at this point. I find myself using the radio most frequently in my truck. SO, I began thinking and thought I would get an amp to go in my truck so I could keep the portable and use it in and out of the truck, but I am not sure that is the way to do it, since it would only be most effective if hooked up to the amp, so why have a portable? So here are my questions:

1. Does anyone use just a hand held, if so how do you like it? (I read the review about the Vx-8r.) Do you think it is as good as a mobile? OR would you recommend a mobile?

2. If you recommend a mobile, my research suggests that the FTM350ar/r or the TMD710a would be the most similar and feature rich. Which model would you recommend?

3. What is the difference between the FTM350r vs 350ar? All I can tell is that is comes preloaded with the new firmware and a new mount? Can anyone confirm?

4. I also understand that the TMD710a will aid in my cross band repeat for back country use as it has an auto ider. Does the FTM350 have this feature?

My use for the radio would be to listen, talk, track APRS stations and my own way-points I am also interested in the easiest radio to modify for MARS, user friendliness, and the ability to cross band repeat so I can use it for APRS to relay my location from the back country 4-wheeling or hiking .

I like the the FTM350 is newer, has more updated features, and a plug and play GPS module, however I dislike that you have to purchase a special cable and software to program it. (Not a deal breaker, but a great perk to the Kenwood.) I am also concerned that the TMD710 is older, and Kenwood is slow to update and come out with new radios, but I like that there are many resources for the TMD710 on the web. I also understand that the TMD710a will aid in my cross band repeat for back country use as it has an auto ider. Does the FTM350 have this feature?

Thank you in advance to anyone that responds!

Chris,
Kf4mnc

Last edited:

I'll give it a shot:

1) Handhelds - I have a few, but could not live with just an ht. Too limiting for me, YMMV.

2) I have a d710a. From the pics I've seen, a 350ar would be easier to use mobile because of the big display. My d710a lives at home, so that's not an issue - I have an FT-7800r in my vehicle. I looked at the manuals for both before buying, and would suggest you do so as well. PDFs of the manuals are available at the manufacturers' web sites.

I got the d710a to go with my mostly-Kenwood core station, and I like the way it can integrate with my TS-2000 and TH-D7a ht. I have Yaesu and Alinco (and Icom, at one time) radios as well, so I'm not really brand-biased.

3) From what I've read, the difference between the 305r and 350ar is the mount. the 350r has a software update to bring it to an "ar".

4) The d710a does have an auto-id feature, but I don't use it, and I don't know if you even have to have that feature...?

The d710a has a "plug-n-play" GPS module as well - it's made by Green Light Labs. Little cube that sticks on the back of the control head. Works well, maybe not as pretty as the Yaesu solution, but you can't see it unless you look for it.

73/k5zia

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks for getting back at me. I have been pouring over google all day looking up specs. Your answers seemed to jive with what I have read.

I am not brand loyal but have had icom, alinco, yaesu and nwo kenwood. It seems icom is going in a different direction that the other manufactures, and that kenwood and yaesu would be the easiest to compare. With that said both brands offer great feature sets. So, I find myself going back and forth. At this point in time I love the features of the Kenwood TH-D72a. At times I miss the size of my old VX-5r and the new 8r, and other want a mobile to control easier.

That said the Kenwood has the real features I want, but it lacks some of the plug and play the Yaesu has (gps, better screen, mic into the body). Then the Yaesu lacks the digipeter and free software. Also, at times it seems that Kenwood is getting out of the game, but then if you think of their products its just they make such a good product it only needs updating periodically. (Look how long it took for an item like the FTM-350 to compete with the TM-D700/710??)

All and all I had great luck with my VX-5R and now my TH-D72a.

What I really want is a mobile that has all the features of the Kenwood TH-D72a (digipeater, build in gps, common programming cable, etc.). SO, I think I have decided to wait on the mobile, as I will need the HT anyway at some point, and hope/pray that Kenwood will update the TM-D710 to match the features of the TH-D72a. And, Sky command looks real interesting!

Right now I am leaning towards buying a mirage amp BD-35 to use while mobile to hold me over in the meantime.

Thank you for your feedback!

Chris,
KF4MNC

I have played around with a few of the scenarios you're asking about. I use a VX-8r in my RV with a small 35 watt amp when on the road. It works pretty good except that reading the small display while driving is a bit of a hassle. But, it does give me the ability to play with APRS and VHF/UHF.

The biggest functional difference between the D710 and the FTM-350 (other than cosmetic and display difference) is that the D710 gives you the ability to digipeat and have access to use the TNC for packet. You asked about crossband repeating also, and the FTM-350 can do that also. If you want to use the mobile rig as a portable digipeater, you either will want the D710 or you will need to purchase an additional TNC for the FTM-350. As we have seen, Yaesu has released a couple of firmware updates, so it is entirely possible that they will issue digipeat functionality at some point...but who knows?

So, it really comes down to your requirements. You could do what you want with just a small amplifier and the TH-D72...it's just up to you on whether or not you can deal with the small display.

Molecule,

I read your post about using the VX-8r as a mobile, that is what got me thinking initially.

As it stands the only radio that will do everything I really want is the Kenwood TH-D72a. Next inline would be the Kenwood TM-D710a.

I am really hoping kenwood will update the TM-D710a to match the HT. On the other hand, I am watching to see how things unfold with Yaesu. However, I like the sky command option with kenwood.

Either way right now I am going to wait and just get an amp. I know I will have more money in the HT then buying a mobile, but this way I can take it with me everywhere, and can easily hide it when not in use.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an HT amp other than the Mirage BD-35? I have not found any other amp in my search.

Chris

I have the Yaesu VX-8DR. I use it in my mobile and have the GPS module so that I can track / send APRS information. It works good hitting the local repeater with a magnetic mount antenna.

Like you, I have been thinking about putting a permanent mounted VHF / UHF radio in the car, for no particular reason other than it's something to do. Like you I was see-sawing between the TM-D710A and the FTM-350AR. Both radios seemed to have their strong points, but the one thing that I didn't like about the Kenwood was the need to purchase a separate GPS receiver, until I heard about the Green Light Labs cube that attaches to the TM-D710A. Also, given the propensity for the Yaesu to have incorrect GPS information, I have landed my see-saw firmly on the Kenwood side.

I thought I was going to be a brand specific amateur, and only buy one brand from the start, and the Yaesu VX-8DR was my first, and to this point, only radio.

However, when I decide to pull the trigger and get the dual band for my mobile, I think it will be the Kenwood at this point.

As an owner of an FTM-350r - let me throw in my 2 cents... I was in the same boat as the OP.

I too compared the Kenwood D710 to the Yaesu FTM-350 side by side. When all was said and done. The only thing I was missing for my purposes was the digipeater functionality that Kenwood offers.

I would recommend playing around with both radios at a Hamfest to see which one you like better. For me, the FTM-350 does everything I expected it to do and more.

The screen is amazing, APRS functionality is superb, useability is very good and audio is great (I have two external speakers - one for each band).

You can also record QSO's and get voice feedback with an add-on board as well as bluetooth functionality.

Now, if you need access to the built-in TNC - this is not going to happen like someone mentioned earlier. However, you can output APRS data to a GPS device such as a Nuvi 350.

So my point is... it depends on what you are going to do. The FTM-350 works well for quite a few folks and so does the D710.

Then again, isn't that part of the fun with Amateur Radio? We have quite a few options to choose from. Good luck with your purchase! (y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.