• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

galaxy 2547 issues

bainmike

Oct 27, 2013
well hope someone has some ideas,got a galaxy 2547 in trade and the frequency counter was running up and would not stop when turned on.no transmitte or receive,no output at all and meter or transmitte lite would not indicate any change when keyed up.got the frequency counter to stop running ,looks like someone was trying channel mod and shorted something out with solder or loose wire.put all wires to chip 8719 back to stock and that stopped the counter from running but it`s setting on 25.960 now and won`t change when switching channels.tried changing 8719 chip with or change.anyone have any ideas.having no voltage test points does not help.any ideas.thanks

If there is an open circuit somewhere within the PLL, the circuit becomes unlocked. It is call a 'phased locked loop' circuit for that very reason. Look at it as if it were a bicycle chain; lose the master link and then the whole bike becomes useless.

Bad solder joint. Shorted cap. It might also be a bad PLL chip. Or a bad crystal. Hard to say from here.

Last edited:
well I talked to the owner and he said a soder strip not ball of soder fell out while he was doing a channel mod.didn`t say where about it came from, like you said got to start checking caps and possible diodes that are bad.

well I talked to the owner and he said a soder strip not ball of soder fell out while he was doing a channel mod.didn`t say where about it came from, like you said got to start checking caps and possible diodes that are bad.
I had the same problem with my new dx2547 and it was a bad solider on a ceramic cap around where the big plug goes into board. I was wiggling things around that area and bammm found it.

I guess its possible when it shorted out that It could have taken the chip and crystal,is that possible .

Anythings possible. Bad solder joints are the first thing I look for when a radio does as your describing. If the channel mod was half-assed, could have fried the pll. Like robb said, its hard to say from here

well hope someone has some ideas,got a galaxy 2547 in trade and the frequency counter was running up and would not stop when turned on.no transmitte or receive,no output at all and meter or transmitte lite would not indicate any change when keyed up.got the frequency counter to stop running ,looks like someone was trying channel mod and shorted something out with solder or loose wire.put all wires to chip 8719 back to stock and that stopped the counter from running but it`s setting on 25.960 now and won`t change when switching channels.tried changing 8719 chip with or change.anyone have any ideas.having no voltage test points does not help.any ideas.thanks
I had the exact same issue and a new PLL chip fixed it. YMMV. Good luck.

well took it to a guy near home that everyone has work on their radios and amps,he replaced the pll chip and a tuning pot and aligned it and unlocked the clairifyer and tuned it up.did the channel mod and it rocks.very reasonable on cost and every one says it sounds great on am and ssb.now he`s got the galaxy Saturn turbo I got with this trade,hope this turns out good also.thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.