• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy 800

n4dxx

Jan 27, 2010
I have a Galaxy 800 that uses 8975 9 pin tubes and one is shot..Is there a drop in replacement for this tube?It has 0ne driving 2..Will a 6kg6 or pl509 drop in?Thanks..Hello anybody out there?

Last edited:

I thought the 8975 was just a re-branded russky tube called the "6P45". Except that the letter "P" is really the cyrillic letter that looks like the greek letter "pi".

It's supposed to be the heavy-duty equivalent of the EL509/EL519. Thicker glass, slightly larger anode, same pinout.

The "6KG6" is a US-registered type number for the european EL-509 or 519 type.

Far as I know there was never a TV sold in the USA that used a 6KG6. Only european products used it.

And about the "PL509". The prefix letters reveal the heater voltage. "EL" is 6.3 Volts. Pretty sure "PL" is a 20-Volt heater.

Maybe.

Thanks for the reply,I noticed there are 2 types of the 8975 One is a 12 pin and the other is a 9 pin like mine..I just have one that is bad and The amp still produces 500 watts..Just cant find anything as far as data on this tube..

Well looks like the EL-509 is the replacement to try since mine has only 9 pins they should be the same..

You won't find any data on the 8975. The folks who made those Galaxy amplifiers were totally underground. They chose that number precisely because it had never been registered with JEDEC by any real manufacturer. It's a totally bogus made-up number.

Why then do mine say RF Parts on the side of the tube?Kinda weird

Last edited:
Because RF Parts prints their name on the stuff they sell. The non-registered "8975" number is no big deal. Does serve to identify what you're buying. All you need to print stuff onto a tube is the right equipment and the right kind of ink.

But a look in any industry-standard reference info for registered tube type numbers won't turn up anything with that number.

Noticed they don't sell that number at the moment. They do list the 6KG6 for 85 bucks.

But they still have the socket https://www.rfparts.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=8975

I like the way they describe the "6pi45c" as one of the tubes it fits.

Ok Thanks for explaining..So you thing the EL-509 would replace it?My 8975's are 9 pins as well..Thanks

It should. Just don't overdrive them. If you see ANY color from the plates of the tube, unkey and find out why the tube is overheating. The gray outer-plate structure should never show any color while keyed. If it does, something is causing the tube to overheat. Not good for it.

Never have seen a 12-pin "8975". I do remember "Galaxy" base amplifiers with 12-pin 30KD6 tubes. Those guys would by a pallet of whatever tube was cheap that year and build a production run of amplifiers with them.

i have a few 509s. for my klv 350 base amp. i don't use it though. been in the box since i bought it years ago.i never needed a amp.but i have several if i need one. lol

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.