• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

galaxy 94 with TS DX-500

racetra

Jul 7, 2011
I spoke with Clay at Clays Radios and we came up with this combo. Thought i would see what ya'll thought. I am just gettin into side band and will use the standard cb channels too. It will be in my peterbilt with 2 k40 bcmax antennas. Wudda ya think?

A Galaxy 94 would not be my first choice if I wanted to talk SSB. Galaxy Exports tend to drift on SSB, if you live in a winter weather part of the country you will see alot of drift.

If you must run that combo keep the peak input on SSB below 50 watts, 20-30 peak is plenty. For AM use I would go 3-4 watts dead key with 25-30 peak watts input.

Any suggestions to go with the dx. I had a galaxy 99 but it burnt up in a fire. I want a similar featured radio.

Magnum S9-80 vs galaxy 94. Which is better for sideband. They will both do the standard am that i need. Which is more stable. ?!

I had a 94 for a few years in the mobile. Awesome radio that had marginal drift in the winter months, not like people lead you to believe. Sure you had to adjust it abit when it was warming up but not much. I could talk on it after turning it on in the morning when the temp was around 5 F and go with 1 small adjustment.

Reactions: 1 person
I also have a 94. Minimal SSB drift. All CB SSB'ers are going to drift some. Not enough to cry about. Should be a fine match with the 500. Just watch the powers levels coming out of the radio. You'll kick ass.

Reactions: 1 person
I have owned quite a few Galaxy radios, 959 (modded with dual finals), DX 77HML, DX 88HL, they all tended to drift quite a bit when cold, after a few minutes they, once they had warmed up they were quite solid, at least mine were.

However I know other people that said their Galaxy radios would drift if you so much as farted in the same general area as the radio

Well, I got my gear back from Clay's. Great turn around time. I was also happy to find out that the guy that owned my truck before me ran some 6ga. wire from the batterys to the above console where the radio goes (Peterbilt 379). I had to do a little customizing to lower the radio 3/4 of an inch and will finish the install tomorrow.

sounds lik a great setup. only thing id do is just use 1 antenna

I have been wondering about that. The truck is all wired real nice for 2 and that is how it is set up for now. I am gonna give it a go with the 2 and see how it works. If I just unhook 1 side, I am guessing that is going to have a negitive effect if the cable is only undone and not replaced with a single cable. It is a bit of a job to replace the cable.

well theres 2 problems with that,.
1/ make sure that coax is 75 ohms if its cophased [this is a must] if using duals
2/if you go single and your coax is 75 ohms then you,ll need to get a 18 feet
single 50 ohms coax [also a must]
id check down the coax line to see what ya got.

I imagine it will say on the cable what it is if it is good cable. I will look at it today. I was able to talk to a guy in North Carolina for a quick bit. I was on AM,ch 17, Band Sel on E, 27.165. That is a standard trucker channel here. I am pretty sure he was responding to me.

Not quite sure where to go to make contacts on USB/LSB or which band to be on.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.