• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

galaxy 959

godcobra

Jan 16, 2012
Hello good new year
I have galaxy 959 whit SSB TX distorted, AM transmit seems ok and I cant find what can I do
Thank you

First thing I would do, is to make sure that the AM Limiter hasn't been removed. Removing that limiter will make it sound crappy on SSB every time.

Would check VR17 like Xit13 said - too.

Peaking the coils is OK; did it to my daily-user 959.

Last edited:
Reactions: TonyV225
You are going to notice with alot of these newer radios that a power microphone is certainly NOT needed. you may look into good quality NON amplified Microphones Astatic has several commercial mics along with the 636L aswel as Turner has a few available along with its popular RK-56 Im going to a huge Hamfest here in Wisconsin next Saturday and Im on the hunt for a Shure handheld as out of the several Microphones in my collection I dont have any to use for testing or comparison I am actually going to rewire one of my Heil dual element handhelds to a 4 pin so I can run it with my adapters for testing on several types of radios. I tried when I first got it but it wasnt working and Heil was of no help as they said I had it wired right so I may have to ask for help on QRZ if it doesnt work this time. I wired it to my Kenwood TS-50 so I know the mic works . Anyways find yourself a good non amplified mic if the stock mic doesnt sound good but most stock mics sound great if everything is set right.

I had DTB Radio tune and align my 959 with the stock Galaxy Hand mic at around 105% modulation. However,The stock mic that came with my 959 sounds muddy. The best sounding non amplified hand mic I've found for Myself is the Ranger SRA-198 but it needs matched up to the radio.
The best power mic for it is the Astatic Road Devil provided you keep the gain at sane levels. It offers very clear speech imput.
Then there's the Heils and other high falluting mics if you want quality. Thanks my 3 cents worth.
:)

Reactions: Robb
I use the road devil mic.
Before i switched to it, i couldnt make dx contacts. Something to consider. A local said it was night day in comparison.
A stock galaxy 959 with the stock mic will be under modulated.

A good stock mic that I have found is the older uniden bearcat mic. Not the new chrome grill space age ones, the silver front, black back regular looking mic. It has some very clean and clear audio for a stock mic, I've used it on a lot off different radios including my Icom 746, and it sounds good on all of them, not the loudest one I have, but by far one of the cleaner sounding ones. The road devil mics are good but if you can find an astatic 575 they are great mics, used to have one and they are getting a bit too expensive to purchase these days. Anyway just my 10 pennies. Have a great one and God Bless.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.